Answered

Sonos Setup Not Working

Userlevel 2

Here‘s what happening:

1. I choose setup new speaker
  2. I choose the Roam SL
  3. It says „There was a problem setting your Sonos Roam SL…Let‘s try something else“
  4. Click Continue
  5. To continue, let‘s connect your movable device to the temporary network…
  6. I click Join
  7. Next your Sonos will play a chime…
  8. I click continue 
  9.  It plays a sound
  10. Says finalizing connection…
  11. “We‘re having trouble finalizing the connection to your Sonos Roam SL
  12. I click Try Again
  13. it fails again „We couldn‘t verify the audio passcode“6
  14. I try then the PIN number
  15. This also fails „There was a problem during setup“

I‘ve tried restarting my device, I‘ve tried on both my iPad and my iPhone.

Is this speaker just broken?  What else can I try?

icon

Best answer by LindaaaAaa 11 May 2024, 21:25

View original

128 replies

Userlevel 2

OK, well chat support couldn‘t help me.  I‘m convinced the speaker is broken.  Since I‘m not getting any error messages with any useful information it‘s impossible to know what‘s wrong, but this is ridiculous.  Spending nearly $200 on a portable speaker and then wasting 2 hours of my life just trying to get it to work was not the premium speaker experience I was expecting from Sonos.  

Userlevel 2

Could it be just the app is completely hosed?  I’m seeing a lot of talk about the May App update being a disaster.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I suspect it is an app issue (although I obviously can’t be certain). There are numerous issues with the latest software release, it has all sorts of bugs and missing functionality. There are multiple posts throughout this community detailing all of the issues.

The sequence you describe in the 15 steps is EXACTLY  what has happened to me multipe, multiple times.   The Sonos tech guy said it was an issue with my wifi so I needed to go to internet provider to get them to look at iot.    They “split” it into a 50 and a 2.4. ( no idea what this is).  Apparently the Sonos wants the 2.4.  Tried that. Nope.  Same issue😫. Now I have to reconnect everything in my house to the new wifi and having iissues with my Google Nest😵‍💫 Isn’t there anyone at Sonos that know what they’re doing??? Piece of crap for alot of $$

I’ve got the exact same issue. I think the new app is broken. 

I too have this same issue. Also with Roam SL

Have been trying for the past 2hrs try to connect a play1 no joy. Has the update outdated my play 

I’m having the exact same issue as the Author of this post (Bradcarman).  If anyone has found a resolution - or even is having success doing the exact same thing - please let us know if you can.

I did call Sonos Support as well.  I spent probably about 3 hours on the phone with them and they ultimately ruled it a defective unit.  I got a new unit but still have the same issue.  That suggests to me it is not an issue with the unit but something else, such as the app.  Given I have 10+ other Sonos speakers working just fine on my system, it doesn’t seem like it is an issue with my internet, router, wi-fi, mesh network (I use Google Nest), etc.

Therefore, I am wondering as well if this is due to the major app update a few days ago, I believe on 5/7/24.  I really have no idea but it seems like too big of a coincidence to not be related.

This is happening to me too. Using Sonos One gen 2.

Tried the following: 

-Factory reset, Connected to 2.4Ghz network, tried ethernet connection, reset phone, router and app with multiple sign out and sign in (both iOS and Android), also tried on a different internet (friend’s house). Nothing worked. 

This is happening to me too. Using Sonos One gen 2.

Tried the following: 

-Factory reset, Connected to 2.4Ghz network, tried ethernet connection, reset phone, router and app with multiple sign out and sign in (both iOS and Android), also tried on a different internet (friend’s house). Nothing worked. 

It doesn’t help when you are not able to get in touch with customer support. These things are not cheap and the service is shocking 

I've just purchased a new Roam. Cannot set it up. Just as described by the OP. 

It's utterly pathetic. It seems it might be related to the "updated " app. 

But I have spent my hard earned money on this and it's useless.. 

Has anyone found a fix?

Userlevel 3
Badge

I am going thru the exact same thing, splitting my wifi to 2.4 and 5 didnt help, spent the last 3 days trying and retrying and their support is extremely unhelpful. What a terrible product, waste of money and time. who wants to buy a product that needs you to reconfig your whole working network and it still doesnt work. 

Service rep was aware of the app issue.  

All workarounds suggested did not work. I even sideloaded an older version of the app using an Android phone and it still did not work as the app needs to be updated to the newer version during setup :S

They advised me to wait again for an update with no ETA. Latest updated was on May 8th. Going 1 week of non-functioning speaker :(

Userlevel 3
Badge

there was an app version update 1 hr ago but that didnt help me connecting

Same.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi, I’ve purchased a Sonos five today, and I’ve followed all the steps to try and set it up. I literally can’t get past the “getting your Sonos five ready”point? I’m literally going insane. I’ve had the speaker nearly 5 hours now and I’m still yet to hear what it sounds like. I’m trying to connect with my iPhone but it keeps saying connection was lost. Any help is appreciated. I’ve tried Ethernet, resetting my router etc…thanks 

exactly same issue. I returned mine as well and bought a new one. still dead. it’s crazy they haven’t mentioned this in their next updates roadmap announcement. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Is yours stuck on the ‘getting Sonos five ready’ stage as well? I’ve had these speakers for 3 days now and yet to hear them. 

I complete all 15 steps most of the time lol. “getting ready” screen takes long but it continues if you wait. just to fail of course.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Mine doesn’t pass that stage, always says it has lost connection, and then tries a temp network but that always fails 

ah yes. the last few times I tried, my phone failed to connect to the device’s temporary network too. I was so frustrated I forgot it happened that way. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Do the speakers sound good? I’m yet to hear

Userlevel 3

Was having the exact same issues with my new move speaker, and support gave me the same run around (btw if you just revert your wifi to old name and password and have the 2.5 and 5ghz re-merged, everything will reconnect). 

For anyone else having issues getting a new product setup, go find a friend with an android. After installing the old version of the app (16.1) via apk mirror, everything was up and running in less than a minute. So yeah, new app was a colossal PITA and cost me probably 8 hours of troubleshooting and support calls

How were you able to set it up using the older version of the app? In my testing, it did not allow me to continue because it says I’m not using the recent app version.

Userlevel 3

How were you able to set it up using the older version of the app? In my testing, it did not allow me to continue because it says I’m not using the recent app version.

I did this on Sunday, and the app was not installed from the playstore so there was no update. But this was prior to the new updates they pushed this morning for the app and the new speaker firmware, which they may be using to block backwards compatibility. So check if your speakers upgraded themselves to 16.2 (79.0-52294) automatically.