Answered

Sonos Roam Won't Turn on or Factory Reset (Fully Charged)

• 22 September 2023
  • 28 replies

Hello,

My Sonos Roam (owned for almost 2 years) suddenly won’t power on even after staying on a charger (both wireless charging and with cord). I’ve tried doing the 12 second power button hold for a factory reset but it doesn’t do anything. 

Please help!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 22 September 2023, 18:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Userlevel 7

You should probably contact Sonos Support:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/contact

I have same exact problem! I've done what has been posted, no luck. Hopped on chat, and was told my charger is not supported. I use a Goal Zero power bank and yet everything else charges. Great speaker, when it worx.

Had the same issue.  Mine was 18 months old.  Sonos warranty runs out at 12 months and all they offer is a 30% discount on a future purchase of a full-priced item.  Bought a replacement battery on Amazon ($26) and used a YouTube video (Shak’s Hacks) to see how to disassemble the Roam.  It is a bit of a pain, but not bad if you have ever replaced the screen on a phone or done other similar repairs.  Now the unit is back up and running.  Hopefully it will last many more years.

I have the same issue but it happened to TWO of my Roam’s within two weeks of one another. I find that very strange that they happened so close together and it is the same issue.  Wondering if some sort of update disabled them.

Same issue. Very suspicious of software update.

Mine died too this week. When i put it on the Sonos wireless charger, the charing led doesn’t turn on, but when I connect it via usb c the led turn orange.

Holding the power button on the back to turn the speaker on or to reset it doesn’t change anything.

The roam was already replaced once by Sonos (within the warranty), since I had the same problem with a previous one a few month after buying it.

Mine too just died within the last week or two. Wireless charger won’t give me an orange light. USB-C with 5v-3a will give me an orange light for about 10 seconds. My roam was very lightly used and is just shy of 2 years old. I’ve tried a dozen times what others have suggested by holding the power button for 20+ seconds then pressing again to turn on, nothing happens. So frustrating!

I’d suggest that you call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Thank you. I will give it a shot. What is odd is that the roam still shows up as active and recognized in my Sonos app, but “powered off”.

Usually, a button push (I tend to use the one on the back, but even a volume adjustment would normally work) should ‘wake’ the device, but your device may have other issues, and perhaps Sonos can help identify them. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

WOW, having all the same issues. For about a week, I was seeing the the Roam was powered off in the app.  Thought my wife was using it occasionally in the garage and it would shut down when not in use. I asked her about it and she had not been using it lately.

Charging base does nothing. With direct USB connection the charging light turns on and stays on. No response from any buttons or attempts to reset the speaker. 

I would have already contacted Sonos Tech Support if it were not for having bad issues in the past. Over the last 5 years I've contacted them 3 times without them ever fixing my issue.

Will try them and report back. 

Userlevel 1

Ditto here. Dedicated Sonos customer. My Roam has been used maybe five times. Now dead.

Sonos - if you are reading this, you clearly have a problem. Your brand is a huge part of your business. People associate your products with being high-quality and generally, they are correct.

This could seriously damage that. If:

1.) You have an obviously defective product and

2.) Refuse to acknowledge and correct it…

...people like me will think very hard before buying another product and we will make sure we tell all of our friends and family about our experience.

This is not a threat. It’s just a fact. Word of mouth is a serious form of marketing for you and you do not want to get on the wrong side of it due to your own negligence and intransigence.

Bottom line: Until I see some sort of acknowledgement of this issue and a possible fix, I will NEVER buy another Sonos product again.

same problem here with my Roam since few days !!! 

When i put it on the Sonos wireless charger, the charing led doesn’t turn on, but when I connect it via usb c the led turn orange. after few seconds red led flash and then back to orange led.

Holding the power button on the back to turn the speaker on or to reset it doesn’t change anything.

Userlevel 1

Hello,

My Sonos Roam (owned for almost 2 years) suddenly won’t power on even after staying on a charger (both wireless charging and with cord). I’ve tried doing the 12 second power button hold for a factory reset but it doesn’t do anything. 

Please help!

I have exact same issue. I have two of these. 

Userlevel 1

I have two Sonia roam. One is bricked. Won’t charge. Won’t reset. This seems like a defect. What should a company do to help people when they give them money for a defective product?

Userlevel 1

Ditto here. Dedicated Sonos customer. My Roam has been used maybe five times. Now dead.

Sonos - if you are reading this, you clearly have a problem. Your brand is a huge part of your business. People associate your products with being high-quality and generally, they are correct.

This could seriously damage that. If:

1.) You have an obviously defective product and

2.) Refuse to acknowledge and correct it…

...people like me will think very hard before buying another product and we will make sure we tell all of our friends and family about our experience.

This is not a threat. It’s just a fact. Word of mouth is a serious form of marketing for you and you do not want to get on the wrong side of it due to your own negligence and intransigence.

Bottom line: Until I see some sort of acknowledgement of this issue and a possible fix, I will NEVER buy another Sonos product again.

Same. Make a produce that is defective. Take customers money and…

I’m really wondering what Sonos support said when you called in?

Userlevel 1

Would not replace. Said they’d ask management. 

Thanks for the reply. 

Same issue here with a roam bought in 2021. It’s very disappointing 

Userlevel 1

The speaker plus wireless charger is over $200. And in a could years it’s in the landfill. 

I’m having the exact same problem. I bought a set from Amazon and they have both died with all the same issues described above. I’m waiting for Tech 2 escalation to contact me. Sonos - this is class action territory. 

Userlevel 1

JBL Flip 5 allows stero pairing at half the cost and double the battery life. 

Yes, I also think a Ford Fiesta is about half the cost of a BMW, or Mercedes, each will get you from A to B and the Fiesta costs much less in petrol and servicing, but it’s still horses for courses and what other speaker can provide one-stop access to all these streaming music services:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/services

And has these features…

• Waterproof 
  • Auto-Trueplay 
  • Apple Airplay 
  • Wireless Audio
  • Sound Swap
  • Bluetooth (with line-in/pass-through to wireless Sonos products)
  • Stereo pairing & grouping on WiFi with Bluetooth playback.
  • 10 hour battery life
  • Built-in mic with voice assistant (Alexa/Google/SVC)
  • Available in various colours
  • Wireless and wired charging

I much prefer the Roam to complement my existing Sonos system. I’ve had two of them for over 3 years and both are still working fine here and they certainly sound great for their size.

Userlevel 1

Yes, I also think a Ford Fiesta is about half the cost of a BMW, or Mercedes, each will get you from A to B and the Fiesta costs much less in petrol and servicing, but it’s still horses for courses and what other speaker can provide one-stop access to all these streaming music services:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/services

And has these features…

• Waterproof 
  • Auto-Trueplay 
  • Apple Airplay 
  • Wireless Audio
  • Sound Swap
  • Bluetooth (with line-in/pass-through to wireless Sonos products)
  • Stereo pairing & grouping on WiFi with Bluetooth playback.
  • 10 hour battery life
  • Built-in mic with voice assistant (Alexa/Google/SVC)
  • Available in various colours
  • Wireless and wired charging

I much prefer the Roam to complement my existing Sonos system. I’ve had two of them for over 3 years and both are still working fine here and they certainly sound great for their size.

Consider yourself lucky they still charge. This thread is about those of us who have the defective ones.