Answered

Sonos Roam travel Q.

• 23 February 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi all

I recently purchased a Sonos roam. I’m an avid lover of the Sonos product and have a few around the house actually most rooms ! I purchased the roam to enable me whilst being away to listen to high-quality music. On my first trip away I attempted to Bluetooth to the Rome but found that the hotel accommodation I was staying in did not support the Wi-Fi at 2.4 GHz and numerous attempts with sonos support online unfortunately I was unable to modify the Wi-Fi system at my accommodation or connect. 

I plan on travelling to the states in July 2022, this year and I’m concerned that if I take the Roam with me I will be unable to connect to 2.4ghz Wi-Fi in the accommodation that we stay at therefore unable to connect the Roam?
Q. Is this going to be an issue or have others experienced this and do I need to purchase another portable music device or similar for ease of being able to listen to my favourite music whilst travelling 

cheers 

Rob 

icon

Best answer by bockersjv 23 February 2022, 12:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I think you are confusing Bluetooth and WiFi.

I am assuming you have set up your Roam on your home network and have registered the device and that it works on your home WiFi

You cannot connect it to the hotel WiFi unless you have admin access to that WiFi and know the SSID and Password, which is very unlikely.

If you want to use the Roam when abroad you connect to it directly from your Phone, Tablet or Laptop by first pairing it via Bluetooth.  Then you select the Roam as the Audio for that device.  You then use whatever app is on the Phone to play music.  That could be the Music app, Spotify or other streaming apps.  You cannot use the Sonos App in Bluetooth Mode to play on the Roam.

I suggest you have a read of the online manual 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5079?language=en_US