Answered

Sonos Roam stuck in sleep or turned off

• 11 April 2023
  • 5 replies

I have a Sonos Roam but it’s constantly giving us trouble. Right now I can see it in the app, but it says it’s in “Sleep Mode”, while when I press the play-button on the device itself it just starts playing.

What’s more, when I hold the power button on the Roam for a few seconds, the light will turn off and in the app it’ll change to “Turned Off”. Clearly there’s some level of communication between the Roam, the servers and the app, but when I turn the roam back on, it’ll keep saying it’s turned off.

That is, until I short-press the power button on the device, at which point it’ll change to “Sleep mode”. I can’t get it to become active in the app so I can control it.

Anyone able to shed light on what else I can try to get this thing to work again?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 12 April 2023, 12:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Robbaman 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m sorry to hear of the problems you’ve been having.

I recommend you hold the power button on your Roam for approximately 12 seconds - this will force a full restart of the device (not a reset).

If this step doesn’t help any, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry,

Thanks for getting back to me.

After continuously fiddling around with the device it suddenly resumed normal operation. It could be that I did indeed hold the button even longer than before, but I’m not sure.

Should this happen again I’ll be sure to give this a try.

Thanks again.

Robert

Same issues here...two weekends in a row.  Both times after charging, the sonos stayed in sleep mode or  powered off.  Nothing seems to work.  Called support last weekend and the guy eventually gave up and never called back.  Then the Sonos miraculously started working after a hard, reall hard, re stard.  Not helping tonigh thought.  This product sucks!

As a follow up to my rant above, the status light is on (solid white) and the app indicates that it is powered off.  Awful, awful, awful.  Oh and BTW, I own two sonos play (plug in) speakers that have been nothing but great. Very frustrated here.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Matt_Evans 

For the Roam to wake up and to be displayed as ready in the app, communication between the Roam and the app must be working properly. Please reboot your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds while no-one else is using the internet. It will take several minutes for WiFi and the internet to return.

If this does not help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.