Answered

Sonos Roam SL and Google Assistant

• 7 December 2023
  • 3 replies

I have a google nest doorbell, the wireless kind. The doorbell chime is supposed to play over google nest speakers. I don’t want a device with a microphone permanently listening in my house, so I bought a Sonos Roam SL in the hopes I could get the doorbell chime to play on that. I’ve hit a dead end. Has anyone done this successfully? I enabled notifications on the doorbell and the speaker is showing in my Google Home app, but I’m not sure how to get the notifications to work on the speaker. Google tech support will not help, I’ve tried. 

I also downloaded Google Assistant, where it says that there’s one Sonos device linked but it doesn’t display anywhere in the app. If I get it to display in Google Assistant I can create a Routine that starts when the doorbell rings which should trigger the action of making an announcement, but its saying “no device for audio available” on the routine creation page. Has anyone been able to use a Roam SL for this sort of thing?  

Open to any and all suggestions (except getting a nest speaker or the wired doorbell - the house is old and the doorbell wiring does not support a doorbell camera.) Thank you! 

icon

Best answer by jgatie 8 December 2023, 19:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @MaryAnneL, welcome to the Sonos Community!

The Roam SL doesn’t come with a microphone, that’s why you’re not able to use Google Assistant on it. You’ll need a voice activated speaker that isn’t the Era 100, Era 300 and Move 2. If you’re buying another Sonos speaker, make sure you don’t pick the SL versions as these stand for ‘Speechless’ and don’t have any microphones.

I would recommend returning the Roam SL you’ve purchased for the regular version of the Roam, as that one can use voice assistants and will link with Google Assistant.

I hope this information helps!

Hi @MaryAnneL, welcome to the Sonos Community!

The Roam SL doesn’t come with a microphone, that’s why you’re not able to use Google Assistant on it. You’ll need a voice activated speaker that isn’t the Era 100, Era 300 and Move 2. If you’re buying another Sonos speaker, make sure you don’t pick the SL versions as these stand for ‘Speechless’ and don’t have any microphones.

I would recommend returning the Roam SL you’ve purchased for the regular version of the Roam, as that one can use voice assistants and will link with Google Assistant.

I hope this information helps!

Hi Jamie, thank you for responding! 

I chose the Roam SL specifically because it doesn’t have a microphone - I do not want a constantly-on microphone in my house. I bought it solely for the purpose of playing some sort of noise when someone presses the doorbell - I don’t want nor need it to do anything else. Will it not link with Google Assistant as purely a speaker?  

Hi Jamie, thank you for responding! 

I chose the Roam SL specifically because it doesn’t have a microphone - I do not want a constantly-on microphone in my house. I bought it solely for the purpose of playing some sort of noise when someone presses the doorbell - I don’t want nor need it to do anything else. Will it not link with Google Assistant as purely a speaker?  

No, it will not.  You need to load Google Assistant on the device, which requires enabling the microphone.  You can then turn the mic off manually, but Google Assistant will not function without it being activated.  In addition, I would make sure Google can send the doorbell audio to a 3rd party speaker.  Not all functions of Google Assistant are available on all 3rd party platforms.