Answered

Sonos Roam - no chime

• 7 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Igot my new Roam today and cannot get it to connect using the awful Sonos 2 app. The instructions state that when I turn the Roam on it should chime, and when selecting the bluetooth function it should chime twice. Mine does nothing depite turn up the volume. I does not even chime when it is turned off.

Do you think the item is faulty, and thus causing the problems to connect?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 7 January 2023, 22:08

View original

6 replies

It’s difficult to answer your question without additional detail, but from what you’ve mentioned, it’s possible you’ve ‘perhaps’ not setup the Roam correctly and/or you might be pressing the wrong buttons for what you’re trying to achieve🤔? Maybe have a look through the product tour in the App or see the various videos on the Roam on YouTube.

Here’s an example video I found (one of many) on how to setup the Sonos Roam speaker using the S2 App installed on a compatible mobile device…

https://youtu.be/igQ165rvfFk

Ken, thanks for your prompt reply,

I downloaded the S2 app and did have a problem here….I have an old Sonos system in my house and understand that it does not work on the S2 app. The S2 app shows the old sonos equipment I have but states that each item is incompatible. Nevertheless I  selected the “add product” function in the hope that I could connect my roam. Sadly this caused the following message to pop up: “Sorry, this feature is unavailable right now.”

I have no idea why, or whether this might be the reason my roam does not make the on/off chimes, or the two tone chime when following the instructions to start it searching for blue tooth.

I hope I’ve explained it well enough, but any help while Sonos help is unavailable would be greatly appreciated.

I would perhaps keep things really simple and power off the devices currently in your original S1 system and that will ensure you do not interfere with that setup.

Install the S2 App (or reset it) and then setup the Roam from its factory state, using the S2 App. Then install any music services, like it’s a ‘new’ system and when done, power on your S1 system. Use the S1 App as before for your older original devices and use the S2 App for your Roam. 

If you do have any speakers that are both S1/S2 compatible you can choose to use those with either Sonos App (that’s a matter for you to decide later). The compatibility lists for S1 and S2 Apps are shown here in this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-s2-compatibility

Let me know if you need any further information.

I found the solution!! The S app was recognizing my old sytem so I disconnected the power to all bridges etc, then re-downloaded the app and registered it as a new  system. Only then would the app allow me to find the Roam, and then in turn the chime worked. Re-connected the old system and everything is fine now.

Thanks for your input Ken.

No worries.. glad to hear it’s sorted. 👍