Sonos Roam = Brick

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Update on my 1.5 year old Roam that has been determined dead, I've been on several chats with Support, though I've used my Roam maybe 5 times in the 1.5 years, it’s a brick out of warranty, the best they’ll do is a 30% off coupon toward a replacement.

Not good enough Sonos, I’ve been a customer since 2008 and things are slipping with the newer devices, by all the accounts posting similar experiences with the Roam, I think it’s a lemon.

After talking it over with my wife, we’re not thrilled with the trend, issues with the system as far as connectivity etc, things seem to be on the decline. We won’t be using this coupon offer for another new component, I think we’re done.

18 replies

Seems unusual, but wishing you the best. All of my equipment, some of it dating back 15 years, continues to work well. But then I do pay attention to my network. No issues whatsoever with connectivity, or the Roam I purchased. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Update, I tore it down and ordered a battery after testing the battery I took out. Zero voltage after days on the charger.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XyMW8N5Wd8U

Roam Battery Replacement

3.6v 5000mah 18w per hour charging voltage 4.2v 11100005 Made in china - Sonos Japan

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I wish there was a battery replacement like there is with the Move.

I think that would have been a smart move by Sonos (pun intended lol)

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I wish there was a battery replacement like there is with the Move.

I think that would have been a smart move by Sonos (pun intended lol)

Agreed, I’d have done it, this wasn’t a bad tear down though, if you take your time, I didn’t need a heat gun just some patience. It’s nice to have the tools handy, a tiny torx set is a must.

For reassembly cut some thin double sided butle tape for where they had it, we don’t want any buzzing. :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Titaniumbird , just curious, you say Roam only used a few times. When not in use for long period, did you power down, or keep on charger? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Titaniumbird , just curious, you say Roam only used a few times. When not in use for long period, did you power down, or keep on charger? 

Had left it on the induction charger all the time.

Userlevel 1

Wow. This is my experience exactly. My Roam is 1.5 years old. Got it for Christmas 2021. It just bricked up in the last few weeks/months. I can’t get it to make a sound or light up at all. I also used the wireless charger. Seems there is a serious issue here. Chat support offered me the 30% discount as well which I declined and requested a full replacement. We will see. 

When it’s plugged in, the orange battery light faintly flickers, that’s it. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yep, I'm pretty sure the batteries they went with are trash, which is a shame because the device itself is really high quality, I've seen the guts of it. :)

Userlevel 1

For the next person that finds this thread, don’t back down. Sonos agreed to replace my Roam. While I’m happy with this outcome, it’s still insane a $180 speaker can brick in 18 months and the company act like they have no idea it’s happening to people. 

I fully agree with Cbaker2194: don’t back down when offered a 30% discount for a new unit if what you have is clearly a lemon.  I had precisely the same issue with a bricked Sonos Roam (after less than 2 years use), and was given the same “we can offer you 30% off a new unit” nonsense.  In addition to the Roam, I have a Move, a Sub, Playbar and six other Sonos 1 speakers throughout the house, so you can imagine my level of agitation over their proposed “solution”.  I told them that what they were offering was absolutely unacceptable and if they wanted to risk losing a customer they’ve had for 10 years, and one who’s on the verge of upgrading to the Sonos Arc, they were going about it the right way.  Fortunately, the person with whom I spoke was empathetic and professional and after a brief hold, came back and told me that they’d offered an exception and would replace the unit at no cost.  I’m not pleased at the lack of quality for what’s otherwise been an excellent speaker, but at least I can appreciate that they’ve tried to rectify the situation.

I have the same problem. A Roam which was bought less than 2 tears ago. Impossible to charge. Has been standing on a QI-charger, but now suddenly totally dead. Orange light when connected to charger, but nothing helps. Poor quality battery, apparently.

I had the exact same issue, 1.5 years and won’t take a charge. Offered the same 30% discount on a new product. Seems pretty crappy after spending that much money. 

I fully agree with Cbaker2194: don’t back down when offered a 30% discount for a new unit if what you have is clearly a lemon.  I had precisely the same issue with a bricked Sonos Roam (after less than 2 years use), and was given the same “we can offer you 30% off a new unit” nonsense.  In addition to the Roam, I have a Move, a Sub, Playbar and six other Sonos 1 speakers throughout the house, so you can imagine my level of agitation over their proposed “solution”.  I told them that what they were offering was absolutely unacceptable and if they wanted to risk losing a customer they’ve had for 10 years, and one who’s on the verge of upgrading to the Sonos Arc, they were going about it the right way.  Fortunately, the person with whom I spoke was empathetic and professional and after a brief hold, came back and told me that they’d offered an exception and would replace the unit at no cost.  I’m not pleased at the lack of quality for what’s otherwise been an excellent speaker, but at least I can appreciate that they’ve tried to rectify the situation.

I will second this. Product was ~18 months old. I contacted customer service and told them my issues. After a back and forth they confirmed I was out of warranty but gave me a “one time exception” for a replacement. Someone must have gotten the memo about the lemons. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Beginning to think a new ‘Faulty Roam’ forum section is needed…

I just had my second Roam brick as well. Literally two months out of warranty.  After 2 hours with tech to confirm, (can I say how annoying that was given this was second time) they offered me a 30 percent off coupon.  This was not ok with me as I accepted this after the first Roam failed to charge.  This is a known issue to Sonos and they need to step up.  Refused the coupon and asked for the supervisor.  Tech escalated and I just received a free replacement.  I truly love these products and have a house full.   The Roam is the only one that is problematic.  

There must be hundreds or thousands of people in the same situation.  My first Roam just died after 24 months.  I guess that’s better than some.  Orange charge light stays on for 52 seconds after plugging in using Sonos provided charging block and cable.  Can’t turn on, reset, etc.  I have another Roam I’ve had for a little over a year.  Expect when that one dies, I’ll be finished with them.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

There must be hundreds or thousands of people in the same situation.  My first Roam just died after 24 months.  I guess that’s better than some.  Orange charge light stays on for 52 seconds after plugging in using Sonos provided charging block and cable.  Can’t turn on, reset, etc.  I have another Roam I’ve had for a little over a year.  Expect when that one dies, I’ll be finished with them.

It seems that there are new posts or threads about faulty roams daily. IME it’s a bad device so basically never use the one I own and would never get another and would never ever recommend it to anyone. 

Mine has been bricked for a year or so with the same symptoms.

I did get it running again for a week or two but it didn't last. I’ve given up on it.

There is no way I’m buying another Roam, it’s been a complete Lemon.

Sticking with my Move and Flip 6 which has been bulletproof and was half the price.