Sonos Roam and Traveling with Wi-Fi

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hoping to get some clarity from the community on how painful this is supposed to be…

• I am travelling with a couple of Sonos Roam between my home and various office locations.  I’m one of few very oddball people that like STEREO, you see. And I understand that the roam is intended as a Bluetooth MONO system when roaming, but since I am a difficult customer I tend to hook them up using the Wi-Fi network to get STEREO. Like we have had since the 1930s.  
  • So far, this has required a factory reset of the speakers EVERY TIME to connect to a new Wi-Fi network. 
  • Today I contacted support and asked how to do this without factory reset, and was told that this was not possible, I needed to factory reset. Pain.
  • The experience at every location so so far has been, step by step:
  1. Start Sonos app, it finds the system missing and select the change network option. 
  2. Attempting to find the system fails with “Sonos not found”. Surprising, since it's already connected via bluetooth, but apparently it's incapable of finding what it is already connected to. (Unlike my camera, my car and everything else that seamlessly configures network over Bluetooth and switch to WiFi transfer mode as required...)
  3. Disable bluetooth on my phone in the hope that it will connect over WiFi. 
  4. Being told by the Sonos app to turn on Bluetooth, in which case it again connects to the Sonos Roam over Bluetooth, and still “Sonos not found”.       
  5. Give up, and perform factory reset of both Sonos Roam.
  6. Detect both Sonos roam, this is hit and miss and sometimes a royal pain.
  7. When they are found, the funny thing is that I am already logged into the app, but now I need to re-enter my user name and password to log in again. More needless pain.  
  8. Attempting to add the speakers back to my main system will not work, since I am not on my main wifi network. Therefore have to set up a new system.
  9. Hooray. Now finally able to use my roam speakers. In STEREO. But all my settings, favourites, playlists and music services are wiped out. So I don't have anything to listen to anymore. 
  10. I can now start the process of reconfiguring the system from scratch.
  11. Tomorrow I am going to another location with another WiFi network, so I look forward to having to set up all settings and music services from scratch again. 

Did I get this right? Is that how the Sonos ownership experience is supposed to work? What is the point of having a Sonos account? Did I miss something?

I have been a Sonos customer since 2006, and have two houses full of Sonos gear, but it's becoming increasingly harder to justify the huge investment in effort to keep these systems running.

52 replies

Consider using a travel router. One side of the travel router will be configured for the local userid/password and the other side will always be your ROAM’s WIFi userid/password.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Consider using a travel router. One side of the travel router will be configured for the local userid/password and the other side will always be your ROAM’s WIFi userid/password.

Yes, that's what I was afraid of. I need to bring dedicated network infrastructure with me to use my Sonos Roam for travel. Really? 2023?

A single device is that big of an issue? Mine is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It makes things much easier, as my phone, my tablet, and my Roam all connect to it, along with its added security. I would be much more worried about connecting a Sonos device to a public network, exposing it to any random command initiated on that network. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

A single device is that big of an issue? Mine is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It makes things much easier, as my phone, my tablet, and my Roam all connect to it, along with its added security. I would be much more worried about connecting a Sonos device to a public network, exposing it to any random command initiated on that network. 

I understand you might have a strong case to bring additional network infrastructure with you on your travels, but I have access to, and control, private Wifi network at every location that are either my offices or homes. Introducing an additional device of unknown firmware does not improve my security, it reduces it.

However, I was hoping I wouldn't have to bring an additional devices with me to travel with the Roams. 

If you have control over all of the networks and want maximum convenience, use the same SSID/Password everywhere.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

If you have control over all of the networks and want maximum convenience, use the same SSID/Password everywhere.

I should change the password in our office to the same password I use at home?
Thank you for your advice.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Though I do not own a Roam I just cannot believe the Roam can only be set to a new network when it is reset. According to https://support.sonos.com/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network you should get to see this: 

and work on from there.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Though I do not own a Roam I just cannot believe the Roam can olnly be set to a new network only when it is reset. According to https://support.sonos.com/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network you should get to see this: 

and work on from there.

Thanks, that is usually where I start. And unfortunately can't move on from there, I get the “Sonos not found”. When chatting with support they confirmed that factory reset was the only way possible. I can't make sense of that information, as I don't think it should be this difficult to own the Sonos product line.

@Thorium Prime,
The wife and I carry several devices when we go away on holiday including two tablets and two mobile phones. Each mobile phone WiFi hotspot has been added to the Roams and so when we arrive at the holiday destination - we can either use the Roams, on either hotspot, or transfer them to a local WiFi network via the ‘Update Networks’ option in the Sonos App network settings.

I understand that up-to 16 WiFi networks can be added - currently we have 5 stored as shown in the below attached image. We have added and deleted many WiFi networks over the past year, or two, and because the Sonos Household is always carried with us, we have never had occasion to factory reset either speaker - in fact we would never do that, as it means we would lose all our playlists/services whilst we were away from home. We’ve personally had no issue adding/removing WiFi networks to the speakers/S2 controller App.

If you want to invent/name ‘any’ WiFi network SSID - I will happily add it to my Roam/S2 App and post back here with that wireless network shown in the WiFi network list… proving there is no need (ever) to reset the Roam when adding a new WiFi network to it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The wife and I carry several devices when we go away on holiday including two tablets and two mobile phones. Each mobile phone WiFi hotspot has been added to the Roams and so when we arrive at the holiday destination - we can either use the Roams, on either hotspot, or transfer them to a local WiFi network via the ‘Update Networks’ option in the Sonos App network settings.

That's great, and this is what I was looking for. However, support tells me I have to factory reset the roams to get on a new Wi-Fi network, and the app (S2) fails to connect. So your experience is that you don't need to do this? 

we have never had occasion to factory reset either speaker - in fact we would never do that, as it means we would lose all our playlists/services whilst we were away from home.

Exactly, this is a bit of a disaster every time. 

If you want to invent/name ‘any’ WiFi network SSID - I will happily add it to my Roam/S2 App and post back here with that wireless network shown in the WiFi network list… proving there is no need (ever) to reset the Roam when adding a new WiFi network to it.

I don't think the name of the SSID is what matters. I think the issue is how the Sonos Roam deal with "Roaming” in the literal sense of the world. It seems to be unable (in my case) to follow my phone/app on to a new Wi-Fi network without factory reset.

I honestly have no issues adding a WiFi network to my Roam/other speakers - I can goto any holiday destination and get the Roam setup on the local wifi network there …and not have to reset the Roam. It’s about taking the Sonos Household with you and you do that by adding a mobile network hotspot to the System or a MiFi wireless network, or  a travel router - they’re all a similar thing. It’s then simple to transfer the Roam to the destinations nearby WiFi network… and then run the Roam on that local network.

Imagine I just arrived at my AirBnB destination which has a WiFi network called ‘ThoriumP’ - it’s easy to add that network to the list for the Roam to use - see attached screenshots as I’ve just added such a network to my Roam (called MotorRoam)…and I have not reset the Roam and still have all the playlists and music services.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I honestly have no issues adding a WiFi network to my Roam/other speakers - I can goto any holiday destination and get the Roam setup on the local wifi network there …and not have to reset the Roam. It’s about taking the Sonos Household with you and you do that by adding a mobile network hotspot to the System or a MiFi wireless network, or  a travel router - they’re all a similar thing. It’s then simple to transfer the Roam to the destinations nearby WiFi network… and then run the Roam on that local network.

So it is not possible for the Roam to roam onto a new Wifi network unless you have your existing network with you? You need to bring a mobile router or hotspot with you in order for this to be possible, this is what you are saying?

So it is not possible for the Roam to roam onto a new Wifi network unless you have your existing network with you? You need to bring a mobile router or hotspot with you in order for this to be possible, this is what you are saying?

Dunno🤷‍♂️ - I’ve just always chose to go that route described, because it means I have a backup network anyway (a mobile hotspot) no matter where I go - sometimes a destinations wireless network may require payment and a ‘login screen’, so obviously those type of networks cannot be added to Sonos under any circumstances .. so I then revert to using my own hotspot instead. Plus it means I always have my Sonos Household wherever I go - So it’s always made sense to me to operate the Roam in this way. I’ve never factory reset it - that is the last thing I would ever do.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So it’s always made sense to me to operate the Roam in this way. I’ve never factory reset it - that is the last thing I would ever do.

It's strange that the official position of Sonos is that I need to factory reset to change the WiFi network.

I guess I need to get used to the idea that I have to always have the thing connected to a mobile hotspot. I have done this in the past, but had no idea it would resolve the current issues. (To be frank I had no idea that their software was this poor, when I am surrounded by other devices that can configure their WiFi network when bootstrapped from a Bluetooth connection.)

Well, now all my configuration, services, Sonos playlists etc are all gone. Thanks Sonos.  

@Thorium Prime 

In fact I’ve just tried it without involving a mobile hotspot and was able to add the Roam to a new WiFi network by first connecting the controller device to the new WiFi network and opening the Sonos App and choosing ‘let’s fix it’ and the controller scans and finds my system. It then allowed me to select the Roam and invites me to press the play and volume-up button. It plays a chime and it connects to the new WiFi network. So it is possible to do it without the hotspot method, it seems.

So it’s always made sense to me to operate the Roam in this way. I’ve never factory reset it - that is the last thing I would ever do.

It's strange that the official position of Sonos is that I need to factory reset to change the WiFi network.

I guess I need to get used to the idea that I have to always have the thing connected to a mobile hotspot. I have done this in the past, but had no idea it would resolve the current issues. (To be frank I had no idea that their software was this poor, when I am surrounded by other devices that can configure their WiFi network when bootstrapped from a Bluetooth connection.)

Well, now all my configuration, services, Sonos playlists etc are all gone. Thanks Sonos.  

I think you ‘perhaps’ must be doing something wrong - it’s working okay here for me.I just connect the Roam to a new WiFi network without using the mobiles hotspot method. I just connected the controller to the new network and selected ‘let’s fix it’ and followed the instructions onscreen - the process is actually mentioned/documented in this Sonos support link too:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I think you ‘perhaps’ must be doing something wrong - it’s working okay here for me.I just connect the Roam to a new WiFi network without using the mobiles hotspot method. I just connected the controller to the new network and selected ‘let’s fix it’ and followed the instructions onscreen - the process is actually mentioned/documented in this Sonos support link too:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

Please read my original post, this is what I am already doing. And it fails every time. And according to Sonos support I need to factory reset it to add to another Wifi network. 

I feel disinclined t help someone as sarcastic  as you, but…

I believe Ken is correct in saying that a factory reset is unnecessary to connect the Roam to multiple networks.  This is indeed destructive - of playlists, services etc, as you are clearly aware.

I believe the confusion lies in not distinguishing between switching between WiFi networks and using the Roam on multiple Sonos systems.  Using the Roam on multiple Sonos systems (i.e. systems with different Household IDs) does require a factory reset each time, because it has to accommodate the existing, and potentially differing, playlists, settings, services etc.

This confusion clearly extends to Sonos Support, and it seems you were badly served there.

The best solution, as others have said, is to carry a piece of  “network infrastructure” with you, in the form of a a travel router about a quarter of the size and weight of one of the two speakers you are happy to lug around with you.   There are many advantages outside of Sonos to this approach, but I can’t be bothered to set these out.

Good lluck.

I can assure you it works here for me @Thorium Prime 

• I just select ‘let’s fix it’ when opening the controller (mobile controller device is already on the new WiFi network)
  • The app scans my online Sonos account and finds my system(s) - I have more than one.
  • I select the Household with the Roam and then select the Roam to add to the new WiFi network.
  • It says Roam will play a chime - It does that and I bring my mobile controller near to the Roam and it detects the playing chime.
  • App asks me to press Play/Volume-Up buttons
  • I then add the new WiFi credentials/password and it informs me that other devices in the system/household will not be updated or words to that effect.
  • Setup is complete and Roam then appears in the Sonos App and is running on the new WiFi network.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I can assure you it works here for me @Thorium Prime 

• I just select ‘let’s fix it’ when opening the controller (mobile controller device is already on the new WiFi network)

Yes, this is what fails in my case. Rather consistently. And support says the remedy is factory reset.  

Just to also add, I used a different WiFi SSID ‘ThoriumWiFi’ - that was to ensure there would be no conflict with the earlier ‘ThoriumP’ WiFi network (I actually deleted ‘ThoriumP’ via the controller network list and removed it from the Roam). I assure you I did not factory reset my controller device or speaker - as you can see all the other networks are still in the network list (see attached) which shows neither were not reset.

Yes, this is what fails in my case. Rather consistently. And support says the remedy is factory reset.  

Support is wrong.  Ken is right. Please see my post.

I wonder if it is the nature of the WiFi you are trying to connect to.  You mention “office locations”.  For example, Sonos does not support Enterprise networks.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I feel disinclined t help someone as sarcastic  as you, but…

No worries, you haven’t. 🙂

I believe the confusion lies in not distinguishing between switching between WiFi networks and using the Roam on multiple Sonos systems​​​​​

Not that confusing, the goal here was simply to add the Roams to a new WiFi network. They were already on a separate system (separate from the other 10-15 devices I own), so expected it to be unproblematic to port this system to a new WiFi network while retaining configuration and services. I was unfortunately wrong.

Good lluck.

Thanks. 🙂

I would have just tried a reboot of the speaker first or (if accessible) maybe a reboot of the local router - but as I mentioned earlier it’s often handy to carry the system/household with you by adding your own mobile hotspots to the list of networks, so maybe do that too next time and then the Roam should hopefully Roam for you, one way, or the other. 🤞

I wasn’t suggesting you were confused in your aims, but that Sonos Support are confused about the circumstances in which a factory reset is required, and that you should therefore ignore their advice.  But whatever, I regret these few minutes of my life I will never get back...