Answered

Sonos One and Roam 2

• 28 February 2024
  • 6 replies

I am looking at purchasing the new Roam 2.  Can I pair my Older Sonos 1 with the new Roam 2?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 28 February 2024, 18:12

View original

6 replies

To add to this, groups are temporary, and can be quickly created and undone. You can also control the volume for members of a group separately.  Pairs, or bonded, is really a setup.  Two speakers set up as a pair will always play the same source at the same volume.

You can not, however, stereo pair them. @jgatie was very deliberate in his choice of words. 

You can group a One with a Roam 2.

Thank You JGatie!

Apologies, what does Group vs Pairing mean in the language of Sonos?  I assume they will act as 2 independent speakers when they are grouped together?

No worries, great question. Pairing means the two speakers will act as a stereo pair, one playing the right channel, the other the left channel.

Grouping, on the other hand, means that both are playing the same thing, i.e. a mono signal (mixed left and right) at the same time. 

There are corner cases to this, too. There are some Sonos devices that have stereo speakers inside a case, in which case they would split the stereo signal properly, but you would still be getting the exact same thing from both speakers cases.