Answered

Sonos move won't power ON

• 13 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi there!

I tried digging around various help topics on the forum but to no avail! I still want to try posting and find out if there is indeed a solution or I am being overly optimistic.

I have a Sonos Move (2020 model) that was working perfectly fine all these days. Until recently, I noticed that the battery would discharge on its own while sitting on the charging base. I have never used a USB-C charger with this unit before. From the forum , I found various suggestions to do a reset (power button pressed 15 seconds off the base, and power button with 15 seconds on the base) that seemed to work and would reset and power on the system and start charging the unit. Again, within a day or two, I saw the battery drain (indicated by the low battery sound). I repeated the above steps and it worked.

Recently, it once again drained out completely and this time the orange LED kept continuously blinking while sitting on the charging base and reset did not solve the problem. Finally, the orange LED powered off had remained so until yesterday. Meanwhile, Sonos support sent me a new charging base to rule out the issue with the base. That did not solve the problem. I was once again advised by Sonos to check charging the unit with a USB-C cable (which I bought - Anker 65W charger PD supported ). This did not do anything at all. 

But a day later, after trying the power OFF 30 seconds (disconnected from charger), nothing happened for a while but just a while ago I noticed a red light blink. It is not a continuous flash but intermittent. So, it does not flash every 5 or 10 seconds. It is more spread out (can’t say for sure, but about a minute or a few minutes apart).

Sonos support told me that this seems to be dead and cannot do anything outside of me securing a new unit. Is that true? I have a Play5 from 2012 and it works like magic even today! This is baffling that it has died on me without being in use.

Do you also suggest that I should try ordering a battery replacement kit instead of burning my money on a new equipment?

What is the general recommendation?Appreciate your response!

Thanks,

Genie

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 14 October 2023, 00:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

An intermittent flashing red light on the Move usually means this - "The portable Sonos product is experiencing a fault condition. If you see a flashing red battery light, contact Sonos Support."

Thats from the Sonos support pages. 

If not tried already, my personal suggestion is to first try removing the battery from the Move for 30+ seconds - it’s a simple process and can be done with general tools you may have at home. See this link below for battery removal…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/replace-the-battery-in-your-sonos-move

Then return the battery to the device and leave the speaker on the new charger-loop overnight and see what happens. Let’s hope it springs back into life. 

If not, I personally would not go with wasting my money on a new battery - I would get back in touch with Support and see what they suggest, or perhaps see if there is a discount available and maybe buy the new stereo Move 2 instead.

Then sell the chargers and Move (for spares/repair) on an auction site and recoup some of your money.

Fingers-X’d however that the battery removal fixes the matter for you. 👍

Hey there!

Thanks for the detailed response! I really had second thoughts about spending my $$$ on the battery! It’s baffling that a newer system stopped working and an older system still runs smooth. I’m going to try the battery removal tonight and post back tomorrow on the outcome!

Definitely keeping all fingers crossed :)

Thanks again!  

Hi - thanks for the advice - it worked for me!!! Sonos Move completely dead except for a small orange light-up, when set for charging. The Sonos Move was shown on the app system list with a repair sign. Removal of the battery for 30 seconds and return worked and got Sone Move back to full life.

Thanks again.