Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Move won't connect to existing Network

• 22 July 2023
  • 7 replies

My Sonos MOVE has been connected to my network for 3years… then all of a sudden (for whatever reason) last week it disappears from my network. I have SEVERAL Sonos products and each of them have all been (and are still) connected w/no issues. I’ll add that I’m able to Bluetooth to the device just perfectly fine.

Going thru the setup - Sonos app sees the MOVE, goes thru the motions as if it’s going to add it back to the network only to end in an error of “There was a problem connecting your Sonos Move”.

I’ve completed all of the recommended troubleshooting steps of unplugging my router, etc… and I’m stuck in this loop of ultimately ending back at the same error msg.

Attempts at a factory reset have not gotten me back to a flashing green light.  Am open to suggestions at this point.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Bleh. Performing a factory reset erases all data from the device, which adds to the challenge for Sonos when they attempt to help you. As a guess, there was an update to your router that changed something, perhaps without your knowledge. I would be looking at the settings to see if you can see something that might have changed. 

I’d still recommend that you call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Maybe quickly see if you’re able to setup the Move on a different WiFi network, such as a mobile hotspot (just as an example). Note the hotspot must be a different mobile device to the controller device - if it works elsewhere, then it’s likely something has changed on your router (perhaps via a router update).

Some things to check on your router are that the routers 2.4Ghz WiFi band is backward compatible with 802.11b/g/n networks and ensure its security mode is maybe set to WPA2 personal. Disable features like ‘Airtime Fairness’ and perhaps QoS too.

Other issues can be caused by the mobile controller, so if you have another controller device available that meets the requirements mentioned in this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-requirements

…then give that other device a try to see if that may work for you.

Don’t attempt any more Factory Resets, work with SONOS support. In my opinion hardware failure is likely.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

My move started acting up this week too. It has been cutting in and out, won't play properly, skips etc. And it is not a year old. I wonder if a recent software update is causing these issues

Maybe a recent update caused an issue —depending on how your router is setup. You can prevent one type of issue if you “reserve” IP addresses in your router. This is a one time chore, good until you replace or factory reset your router. Check your router documentation for instructions.

And, as a temporary (ish) solution, power down your Move completely, then reboot your router. Give the router a couple of minutes to come back up, then power back on your Move. Does essentially the same thing as @buzz is recommending, just in a temporary, rather than permanent solution. 

Maybe I wasn’t performing the “reboot” correctly? I thought that I was previously… but I get on a call w/support and that’s what the guy had me do - and it immediately shows up back in my network.  Shortest support call I’ve ever been on - maybe 20secs - tops. Oh well. Thanks for all of the great suggestions, guys - keeping those for future reference.

Best,