Sonos Move (S2) can't connect to 5 ghz network

My Sonos Move was able to connect to 5 ghz wifi before updating software to be compatible with S2.

After updating to S2, it can only detect/connect to 2.4 ghz wifi. (All my other device connected to my 5 ghz wifi just fine)

Anybody experiencing the same issue/find the solution? or is it perhaps just an S2 bugs.

What I’ve done so far:

Reset + Reinstall sonos S2 app

Reset Sonos Move

Restart Router

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Hello @iJonathan and welcome to the Sonos Community.

I would like to ask for you to send us a diagnostic and reply back with the confirmation number. I also would like to know the type of router that you have as well as your ISP.

Hi @David C ,

Diagnostic confirmation number is 2123440160

Routher: Huawei b525s 65a

ISP: Vodafone NZ

Thank you for the diagnostic @iJonathan 

I see from the report that the Move doesn't have the wifi credentials of the 5g network. I would like for you to go onto the Sonos app and click on Settings > System > Network > Wireless Setup. Let me know if you see the 5g network showing as an option to pick. Please send another diagnostic afterwards so we can see if that shows on our end.

Hi @David C ,

Yes, unfortunately its unable to detect my 5GHZ network at all, while my other device connected perfectly.

I go to wireless set up on the app, and this all i’ve got

I’ve tried to disable my 2.4 ghz network so Sonos Move forced to search for network, but again it doesn’t detect my 5 GHZ network.

I’m connecting to 2.4 ghz network just fine for now.

Perhaps if its a known bug, future software update will fix it?

We are definitely going to look more into this. Can you send me a diagnostic so we can check the results of the wireless setup?

Hi @David C ,

How do I send a diagnostic result of the wireless setup?

Do I just try to connect manually to my 5 ghz network(enter ssid, pass) and once it failed do the diagnostic?

Yes, try that after it fails to connect to the 5ghz.

@David C 

The diagnostic number 1148108574

Note:

5ghz not listed so I have to enter ssid manually + password;

It always say wifi password wrong.

Badge

I thought all Sonos products only use 2.4GHz band, and cant use 5GHz?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126?language=en_US

This specific issue with the S2 app has caused me a few headaches lately:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/unable-to-connect-to-sonos-wifi-config-issue-band-steering-6843181

I thought all Sonos products only use 2.4GHz band, and cant use 5GHz?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126?language=en_US

This specific issue with the S2 app has caused me a few headaches lately:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/unable-to-connect-to-sonos-wifi-config-issue-band-steering-6843181

The Move can connect to 2.4GHz or 5GHz WiFi.  Mine is currently connected to 5GHz under S2.

The Move cannot connect to SonosNet and has no Ethernet port.

It’s a different animal.

Thank you for the diagnostic @iJonathan 

I believe that there is a problem with your network because we are seeing two networks that your Move is associated with which is not allowing the speaker to connect to the 5G. I think it might be best that you get in touch with our support team via telephone or email as we want to get more hands-on with this issue. 

@David C that is quite strange, because it was able to connect just fine to that network before. 

@stevecurran13 I was thinking the latest update forcing sonos move to connect to 2.4 ghz, but as @John B mention. It probably something to do with my move, or some random bug happenning between my network and sonos move.

Helpful thread because I’m having similar issues with S2 and finding a wifi network.  Makes me think I’m not crazy. I can’t find a wifi network since changing routers and upgrading to S2.

I have 3 Sonos One, 2 Play: 5 (gen 2), I recently added a Boost, and I upgraded my mesh network to Nest (Google) Wifi.  Before upgrading to Nest Wifi, S2 still had the same issues finding a wifi network.  Super frustrating for someone with some fundamental network skills, and someone who has had to jump through the “change router” hoops on S1.  I feel like I’ve tried everything to connect on S2.  Not even close to solving the issue. I’ll call support, but wanted to share my frustration with Sonos. 

Same issues -  

Deze,

I experience the same issues. 
Move is able to Connect to 2.4ghz network but not a 5ghz network. 5ghz network does not appear in the list of networks using Sonos app as explained above. 
Also, when streaming from Qobuz in “high” resolution  flac 44.1 kHz 16 bits the system experiences glitches. This is not due to network configuration because another network streamer (edge now) operating the same source does not experience the same issues. 
Also operating the same Sonos devices (connect, play3, move all grouped in one zone) using roon works a lot better. Sonos connect is Ethernet wired, play 3 on wm0 and move is on 2.4ghz wireless network. 

Kind regards

Hi All. I was having similar issues with the Sonos Move. I have a EERO mesh combined with Verizon router. I though the EERO or router were the issue, and the Bridge configuration set up to use the EERO. It turns out the Sonos Move presents two options for communication with Alexa. One is the speaker and the other one is the Sonos Wifi. I switch, within the Alexa app, between the Sonos configuration from the Speaker to the Sonos WiFi symbol and voila!! Fix the Alexa/Sonos Move disconnection. Hope it helps. 

Following - Same issue with Sonos S2/One/5G. SONOS doesn’t “see” my 5G wifi network and will not connect manually using ethernet.

Following - Same issue with Sonos S2/One/5G. SONOS doesn’t “see” my 5G wifi network and will not connect manually using ethernet.

The Move may switch networks/bands automatically as it powers on from a fully powered off state. That’s providing the 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz networks are in use or previously used and showing in ‘Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks’ area of the App. If not there, then add it as briefly mentioned below:

Add Wireless Networks to Sonos Move

1. Connect your mobile controller device to the new WiFi network. (Perhaps ensure any previous network is not accessible by disabling its beacon temporarily)

2. Open the Sonos App and wait whilst it searches for your current Sonos system.

When the app shows “Unable to connect to Sonos” ... tap the  ‘Learn More’ link

3. Tap the ‘Changed Router or WiFi Settings’ button and select the ‘1 product option’.

Follow the instructions to connect the Sonos Move to the new WiFi network.

Note: The Sonos Move can remember the credentials for upto 16 wireless networks.

Just an addendum to the Note listed by Ken. It’s not as clearly stated as it could be, but it is only the Sonos Move that can remember up to 16 networks, not all Sonos products. 

Just an addendum to the Note listed by Ken. It’s not as clearly stated as it could be, but it is only the Sonos Move that can remember up to 16 networks, not all Sonos products. 

Thanks Bruce.👍 I will alter my post to reflect that, in case someone else stumbles upon the post in a future search of the forum.

I’ve had my fair share of being called out on what I thought were clear statements, which, upon reflection, I could see as being misunderstood. All the information was there, it just could have been misinterpreted by those who were skimming ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

There’s lots of good advice here (thank you, contributors), but one important piece is missing:

To connect Sonos to a WiFi network (2.4 GHz or 5Ghz), the device running the Sonos app must be connected to the same network and frequency band. That is, to add a Move (or other 5GHz capable Sonos device) to the 5GHz band, your smartphone or tablet must be connected to the same 5GHz band. The same applies to 2.4GHz.

Combined bands are not recommended due to band steering - your router identifies that your Sonos device has a 5GHz radio and steers it towards that band as it’s less congested, not realising that Sonos reserves the use of 5GHz for Home Theatre and stereo pair bonding.

On newer Sonos models, you can connect them to 5GHz as long as the speaker is not bonded to another. 5GHz compatible Sonos devices are listed on our Sonos system requirements page, and at the time of posting this, these are:

• One (Gen 2)
  • One SL
  • Port
  • Five
  • Sub (Gen 3)
  • Move

Note that Arc, Amp and Beam are not listed as they’re Home Theatre products and will likely need their 5GHz radio for satellite speakers.