Answered

Sonos Move Connection Issues with Mesh Networks

• 6 January 2021
  • 3 replies

• Contributor I
  • 1 reply

Are there any known issues with Move and WiFi mesh networks, in my case Plume Networks? I have been having issues connecting my Apple devices using AirPlay 2 to my Sonos Move, but only when I move it.  I can connect without any issues when the Move is at it’s base.  Ie it is connected to its typical WiFi pod, and that WiFi pod happens to be Ethernet connected to my router.  However, when I move the Move into another room I can always see the Move listed on my Apple devices as a speaker that I can AirPlay to, but it typically, but not always, fails to connect.  Also, sometimes, when it is playing music away from its base, after using it for a while it disconnects and I’m unable to connect it again. 

As a note I have tried multiple devices, iPhones (XS and 11) an an iPad, all on the latest O/S.   Also, I am NOT using SonosNet, ie everything is connected to the same WiFi network, none of the Sonos devices are connected to Ethernet. I have confirmed that I always have solid WiFi signal strength. Finally, I never have any issues with my stationary Sonos devices.  I suspect the issue is when the Move switches WiFi Pods. 

I have contacted Plume and their suggestion is to enable Sonos Net, but with everything else working perfectly I was reluctant to do that unless I have to.

My Sonos inventory consists of 1 Beam + 2 One SLs as surrounds, another Beam by itself, and the Move.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 6 January 2021, 06:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

More often than not, SonosNet will improve the network performance of all of your Sonos speakers. Don’t hesitate to try it. You only need to wire one speaker to create SonosNet.

More often than not, SonosNet will improve the network performance of all of your Sonos speakers. Don’t hesitate to try it. You only need to wire one speaker to create SonosNet.

Does SonosNet use a standard WiFi protocol?  Either way is it operating in the 2.4Ghz range?  My concern is that with 10 WiFi mesh pods throughout my house I have excellent WiFi coverage throughout the house, and I’m concerned that moving to SonosNet, and the distance I have been some of the Sonos devices, the connectivity between the Sonos devices may degrade.  Unless, does SonosNet use the home WiFi network as a backup if its own connectivity degrades?

Also, are there downsides of using SonosNet?

Userlevel 7

If you wire a speaker and create SonosNet, all of your other Sonos speakers will run on SonosNet except for the Move. SonosNet might help. It might not. The only way of knowing is to try. If it doesn’t fix your problem, switch back to your WiFi. You won’t break anything. And we can rule out that solution and try something else.