Answered

Sonos dead wont charge

• 30 November 2022
  • 11 replies

I think this may be a common problem..  but..  I can’t get any light to go on at all.. the Roam was working fine until a couple of days ago.. although the power button has always been a bit hit and miss..  I only use it through bluetooth on my phone ipad as I am living abroad. 

It has not been used for approx 36 hours.. and this morning I found it dead and unresponsive.  I tried the holding down power for 12 to 30 seconds..  this did nothing.. I did notice that I had a brief orange flight flashing on the base..  I had been using a regular USBC cable..  which i’d never had a problem with for 18 months.. but I have reverted to the original cable.. 

I called technical support.. after 45 minutes on hold etc..  the technician’s diagnosis.. I think there is a problem with your roam..   this did make me laugh..  anyway..   I am going to leave it charging for a few hours with the original cable.. to see if this has any impact..  any advice very welcome.

Thank you

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 December 2022, 11:10

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Penelopekitten 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I took a quick look at your case and it seems we have already offered to replace your Roam if it does not turn on after an extended charging period. I would just ask that you ensure your charger delivers at least 2 amps at 5 volts.

Hopefully, we’ll have that unit swapped out for you soon.

Ummm - experiencing the same issue. Roam is sitting on the charger with no lights - have gone to do a reset and nothing happens. After much reading on blogs, SONOS site - I still can’t get it to activate… Very, very frustrating. The rest of my SONOS products work extremely well, even when being moved from one city to another… ROAM on the other hand has always been a headache. And today… it appears to be on its last legs with nothing activating. SONOS HELP!

Call them.

Fellow Sonos and Roam community..  I’ve called them and initiated a return- luckily the product is still within waranty.   

good luck to all

So just need to vent here.. atrocious customer service.. spent hours on phone to UK support, where  level of english made communication very problematic.

Both customer service representatives provided inaccurate information..the second set up a return using my user name not my real name..and organised a UPS pick up in an area where there are no UPS points..  

I am waiting for answers for a correct address label and instructions..

Incredibly frustrating and unhelpful

This is seriously the worse portable speaker I even owned or heard of. Battery life is really bad, the fact that it does not save battery when not in use is plain stupid. After the battery was depleted (because of bad development decisions) it takes at least 2 hours on a charger before even being able to use it again. This makes this device completely useless and unreliable. I expected more from a device of nearly € 200,-.

This is seriously the worse portable speaker I even owned or heard of. Battery life is really bad, the fact that it does not save battery when not in use is plain stupid. After the battery was depleted (because of bad development decisions) it takes at least 2 hours on a charger before even being able to use it again. This makes this device completely useless and unreliable. I expected more from a device of nearly € 200,-.

I’m not having any issues - it’s like any other lithium-ion battery powered device, you just need to keep it topped up - the power saving features are excellent in any case and so are it’s features like ‘button grouping’, SoundSwap, Airplay, Bluetooth, Direct Control and Wireless playback and it works great with voice assistant services   … a two hour charge easily gives 10 hours+ playback time. The simple answer is to perhaps just leave it on a Qi charging base when not in use or overnight. The Roam playback lasts me all day, every-day. Most importantly, the Roam sounds much better than its competitors. 

This is a commonality with Sonos Roam. I had problems within the first month with poor battery life. Every time I called in for support I was given the run around. “Oh your product is normal” “battery life varies”. I used to own a Bose portable speaker and it NEVER gave me issues. I had a few years  of use with it. In the end I was also offered a coupon for a new Sonos Roam - not satisfactory. Bottom line, if you want a portable speaker don’t get this one. Had I known better I would have paid for the Sonos move which is a better sound and has a replacement battery kit.  

The Sonos Roam is a terrible product and the Sonos team knows it and won't address it.  The charging system is terrible along with the battery. 2 units have had the exact same issue using only Sonos charging cables and power adapters. The units will charge to 67% and stop, due to a thermal protection design. What happens if the thermal protection is faulty? Today, neither unit will charge or turn on. 400$ worth of product dead within 14 months.  Sonos has no answer for the devices other than  purchase more at a discount.  Sonos used to stand behind their products but when  it comes to the roam good luck.   It's junk and if yours works good for you you're not out 400$.  

The Sonos Roam is a terrible product and the Sonos team knows it and won't address it.  The charging system is terrible along with the battery. 2 units have had the exact same issue using only Sonos charging cables and power adapters. The units will charge to 67% and stop, due to a thermal protection design. What happens if the thermal protection is faulty? Today, neither unit will charge or turn on. 400$ worth of product dead within 14 months.  Sonos has no answer for the devices other than  purchase more at a discount.  Sonos used to stand behind their products but when  it comes to the roam good luck.   It's junk and if yours works good for you you're not out 400$.  

I once had a B&O TV that cost thousands that lasted a similar amount of time - I guess despite every effort with quality control, these things can (and do) happen to a small minority. It doesn’t mean that the devices are all as bad, as I’m sure that the same make/model of TV I had the issue with, is probably still going strong for many others. I learned a lesson early on and that is to extend the warranty cover with an insurance plan for all electrical goods - it just gives that extra piece of mind.

I do have two Roams here from when they were first released and they’re still going strong, so that perhaps shows that it really is just a case of c’est la vie.

Glad yours works.  Mine failed before the 12 month warranty.  It's not a matter of buy piece of mind.  Yes, different situations and units will yield different results.  Glad yours work.  Many have failed at an alarming rate.  9 that I'm aware of personally.. 2 of my own.  That's Nota coincidence that's a bad product. 

Enjoy your roams while you can.