Answered

Roam will not power on

I have a roam that will not power on. It was unplugged for several days a may have went completely dead. Plugged back in for server days. 
1. no power and no lights or sounds trying to power on

1. I can hold the power button for the 12 seconds - orange light comes on
  2. orange light stays on for about 10 to 12 seconds and fades back off
  3. i have tried this both plugged in and not plugged in
  4. I have no sounds or lights during the process except the orange light coming on and turning back off.
  5. do I need to return the device.

I also reordered a new ROAM power jack and cable for the device, IT IS THE 10w needed to charge the device.

Moderator edit: combined posts

icon

Best answer by Corry P 7 June 2023, 10:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

The 12 second reset is effective only when ROAM is not connected to the charger. Also, the power button is a little slippery. If you slip off the button, reset the time interval. 12 seconds is the official interval. I suggest a little longer, perhaps 15 seconds -- just in case you are counting a little fast today. After the reset, reconnect the charger and continue to full charge. If this reset is successful, you will be able to play music while the unit charges.

I have held as much as a minute. Orange light come on goes off and nothing. It does acts like it is resetting but the orange light goes out. I’ve tried the two second turn on after the reset procedure. I still get no lights, no sounds and still can not see it in the app. It will not power on. The only power that is observable is the orange light lighting up and going out.

I can do the reset and the orange light comes on, release the power button. Wait a few seconds and push the power button and the orange lights immediately lights up and then goes out after a few seconds.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Rdssharp 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m sorry to hear of the issue you’re having with your Roam. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

I have a year-old Sonos Move and have loved it.  Two weeks ago it would not power on.  No lights.  Its home has been the cradle.  I called tech support and they needed to verify if it was the charging cradle.  They had me use the USB port to charge.  Left it on for 24 hours.  Did not help.  No lights.  I ordered a new battery and just installed it.  Placed on cradle and tried to power it up with no luck, no lights.  Removed from cradle and held power button for 15 sec.  No luck, no power, not lights.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I have a year-old Sonos Move and have loved it.  Two weeks ago it would not power on.  No lights.  Its home has been the cradle.  I called tech support and they needed to verify if it was the charging cradle.  They had me use the USB port to charge.  Left it on for 24 hours.  Did not help.  No lights.  I ordered a new battery and just installed it.  Placed on cradle and tried to power it up with no luck, no lights.  Removed from cradle and held power button for 15 sec.  No luck, no power, not lights.

Hopefully still under warranty?

Doesn't really help.  I have had speaker for over a year.

Doesn't really help.  I have had speaker for over a year.

You didn’t mention if you again tried the USB-C port to charge the Move now that you have the new battery installed.

Note the charger must be PD certified. Ideally for 45W operation, the PD source must put out either 20V/2.25A, or 15V/3A (or higher current). For 36W operation the PD source must put out 12V/3A or 15V/2.4A and charging speed is reduced, particularly  if listening to audio at the same time. Anything less than 36W will not power, or charge, the Move. Other types of charger may even damage it.

I will try the USV-C port.  Was wondering if new battery has enough charge for speaker to power on.  When I replaced battery with a new one it had no power, no lights.

I will try the USV-C port.  Was wondering if new battery has enough charge for speaker to power on.  When I replaced battery with a new one it had no power, no lights.

Yes, I guess you can’t rule out at this stage that there maybe a hardware issue with the speaker itself, but I would try the USB-C charger and see what happens. If no joy, maybe speak with Sonos Support again on Monday.