Roam Stereo Pair randomly unpair.

• 5 November 2021
  • 31 replies

Badge

Just as my Sonos Play:1 and Sonos Play:3 is setup in Stereo, og had the same intention with my new Sonos Roam.

After Stereo Paring, they can stay paired for some days, but unfortunately, they keep randomly unpairing for some reason, and i have to start over again.

The Roam unpairing can happen out of the blue, - or when network/power or something else do change. Though, my Sonos Play:1 and Play:3 keep being Stereo Paired. So Why Not the Same With Roam?

I hope this will be fixed.

31 replies

Badge +17

@James L. , i have now installed the replace Roams with the one called Køkken. It has been running for some days, still with unpairing Stereo. Last test was today, where the loadspeakers is just 2 centimeter between them and create network connectivity. Stereo was unpaired again.

Diagnostics: 57306434

What on earth can i do to get this working? Is it the wrong device that was exchanged?

Kr, Torben 

I’m honestly not sure, and it’s disheartening to hear the issues are still there.

You should continue to speak to our support team at this point, since it does seem to require some further troubleshooting, which I can’t effectively provide here. 

If they do end up coming to a conclusion and resolution, I would be interested to hear what that is, so do keep me updated.

Just to be clear, @James L. works for Sonos, I am just a fellow user.

Same issue here. It used to work (upon release date) but some update broke it for sure. Now IF the pairing succeeds I get only one speaker to work, and breaking the stern pair enables the other speaker. Yup, strange. But then when I change the volume from the source it only becomes effective on 1 speaker since it doesn’t have a stereo pair.

It just doesn’t work, also not in my other house (with different WiFi obviously) so that can’t be the issue. I’m going back to old school receiver and cabled speakers and play from CD. That always works since there aren’t any software updates.

Stereo pairing of Roams is working here for me. I did do some testing of this, quite recently, as outlined here in this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-pair-disconnecting-on-a-daily-basis-6872136?postid=16604312#post16604312

I couldn’t get the pair to fall apart at all.

Badge

Hi @James L. and @John B ,

it just happen again. Roams got repaired yesterday and this morning it was unpaired.

Diagnostic was submitted 1797695579

Looking forward to learn your findings.

Badge +17

Thanks James,

Does the physical distances between the two Roams meams anything to pairing and stability?

They have approx 5 meters between them, and is located same place where my Play:1 used to be.

Yeah, distance is pretty important. When stereo paired, the two players need a strong connection between them, as they share data when playing so they can keep in sync with each other. We typically don’t recommend having them more than 12ft (3.6m) apart when stereo paired to ensure good connectivity. 5m (16.4ft) is definitely in the upper range there, and depending on any obstructions between them may be causing the issue. If it’s possible to move them closer and test for a few days that would be great.

Badge +17

@James L. , so they are communicating over-the-air and not via WiFi?

Without getting too technical, one of the stereo pair is designated as the Group Coordinator (GC) and the other as a Group Member (GM). Both players communicate via WiFi directly to your router to remain connected to the system, but also talk to each other directly through a process we call Direct Routing. When playing music, the GC receives the music data from the streaming service over WiFi, and passes it on to the GM via Direct Routing. It’s technically possible for a stereo pair to work without a Direct Routing connection, but it’s much less reliable that way. 

Badge +17

@sorensent, actually yes. There does appear to have been a memory fault on one of your Roams that didn’t show up in the previous diagnostics. Though, I’m not sure that caused the stereo pair to become disconnected in this instance since it happened several days prior.

Please get in touch with our Customer Care team for further troubleshooting and assistance.

Badge +17

Both Roams are always Power Connected , and placed same location all the time. They are not moved away. They are also always powered on just as our Play:1 and :3 always are.

Even with that, we randomly see the Stereo pairing breaks. It can break at any time, - between same minutes when pairing up-to couple of days. There is no rhythm to it. Last time the Pairing broke while i was listening to music -.., the music simply disappeared from the paired Roam.

For me, this is a bug. If Stereo pairing Roams - it must not just dis-pairing without a note of why.

If this is the case, I’d like to see a diagnostic from your system after one of these unpairing events. Please don’t re-pair them until after you’ve submitted the diagnostic and replied with the number in this thread.

Badge

Thanks James. I will.

i just repaired them this morning again. I will update you with the number, when it happen again.

Badge +17

@James L. , Just talked with Customer Care.

The faulty device was this one: 54-2A-1B-BE-54-40: named Sonos Roam.
If that is not true, then please correct.

If our team have identified that as a faulty unit then I’ll believe them. If they’ve initiated a replacement process for you then please do go ahead with it :slight_smile:

They have more tools and information to go off than I do here on the Community, so please continue to engage with them.

Badge

@James L. , i have now installed the replace Roams with the one called Køkken. It has been running for some days, still with unpairing Stereo. Last test was today, where the loadspeakers is just 2 centimeter between them and create network connectivity. Stereo was unpaired again.

Diagnostics: 57306434

What on earth can i do to get this working? Is it the wrong device that was exchanged?

Kr, Torben 

Badge

Hi James,

We have just had a Power-Outage for 2 minutes because of some small changes to the electrical panel.

Though this ended up with the Roam Stereo pairing to break. The speakers where not touched doing this operation, nor powered down or anything. I will expect the same behaviors as my other Sonos Stereo paired devices.

I have submitted a diagnostic (1832063646)

Badge

Hi James,

I still struggle with this. I have placed both Roams with 1cm distance, and they keep lose stereo parring.

I have uploaded diagnostics 461442601

Can this be hardware error? Im not able to have them stereo parret, nore grouped for longer time. 

Kr, Torben 

Badge

Same issue here. It used to work (upon release date) but some update broke it for sure. Now IF the pairing succeeds I get only one speaker to work, and breaking the stern pair enables the other speaker. Yup, strange. But then when I change the volume from the source it only becomes effective on 1 speaker since it doesn’t have a stereo pair.

It just doesn’t work, also not in my other house (with different WiFi obviously) so that can’t be the issue. I’m going back to old school receiver and cabled speakers and play from CD. That always works since there aren’t any software updates.

Stereo pairing of Roams is working here for me. I did do some testing of this, quite recently, as outlined here in this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-pair-disconnecting-on-a-daily-basis-6872136?postid=16604312#post16604312

I couldn’t get the pair to fall apart at all.

Thanks for this! I’ll check my WiFi (again) but the thing is, it used to work reasonably well. Now pairing as stereo often fails (“try again”) and when it succeeds I only hear one speaker. Then I break the pair and both speakers play, albeit in mono. And when I change the volume only one speaker adjusts. Must be a firmware issue as well….

Thanks for this! I’ll check my WiFi (again) but the thing is, it used to work reasonably well. Now pairing as stereo often fails (“try again”) and when it succeeds I only hear one speaker. Then I break the pair and both speakers play, albeit in mono. And when I change the volume only one speaker adjusts. Must be a firmware issue as well….

I’m not seeing the issue here personally speaking, nor seeing too many similar complaints about this, considering how many Roams are probably out there… what you can do though, is whenever you encounter a problem like this and are able to easily reproduce it, is take a system diagnostic report within 20 minutes, or so, of noticing the issue. Note the diagnostic reference number and then speak/chat to Sonos Support Staff about the issue and see if they can see where the problems are, whether that’s with the speakers, or the local network.

Hope the links included above assist you to get the matter sorted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Me too. I’d like an option for a “hard” pair which can only be undone by using the app.

Badge +17

it just happen again. Roams got repaired yesterday and this morning it was unpaired.

Diagnostic was submitted 1797695579

Thanks for that.

From what I saw in the diagnostic, it looks like there was a connection time-out between the Roams that caused the unpairing. Specifically, the one now called Køkken didn’t receive a response from the other Roam within 5 minutes so they split. I can’t immediately tell why that’s the case, since that’s not something we can tell from the logs alone, but it does look like Køkken has a much weaker connection to your WiFi network compared to the other Roam. How far apart are these Roams from each other? 

Badge

Thanks James,

Does the physical distances between the two Roams meams anything to pairing and stability?

They have approx 5 meters between them, and is located same place where my Play:1 used to be.

Badge

@James L. , so they are communicating over-the-air and not via WiFi?

Badge

I noticed that while playing, only the primary Roam received data on Wifi. The other nothing though capable to play. :-)

My Roams have visual with each other. Nothing in between. WiFi Bandwidth messure at both is approx arround 100mb up/down in average each.

My Roams have visual with each other. Nothing in between. WiFi Bandwidth messure at both is approx arround 100mb up/down in average each.

As James has just explained, this is pretty much irrelevant to your issue.  You need to keep the speakers closer together

Badge

Hi Ken, sorry for not responding any sooner…

Thanks ever so much for replying with a useful tip: I've just experienced the issue again at home, so submitted the diag. Hope they will take a look after I’ve spoken to them, and can find the culprit.

Thanks again,

Phil

Badge

@James L. , let me know if you can see anything out of the diagnosticlog: 461442601

I think i will have to return the speakers, as Stereo parring is a must in this room - and obviously not stabel enough that i can trust it.

Kr. Torben

Badge +17

Hi @sorensent,

The stereo pair will separate if you connect to Roam via Bluetooth, put it into sleep mode, or power it off. The same won’t happen with a Play:1 or Play:3 since they’re not battery powered nor will they be taken out of range of each other.

Once Roam is powered on and connected to Wi-Fi, you will need to recreate the stereo pair again using the steps on our Creating a Stereo Pair FAQ.

Are you on software update 13.3 or later? 13.3 brought some improvements to the Roam.