Skip to main content

Problem with Sonos Roam after App update.  Cannot use Roam as speaker to my phone to hear You Tube videos via Bluetooth.  It works a short time after Roam factory reset, then stops working - seemingly because the Sonos App overrides it. It will still work for music through the app, but no sound with bluetooth connection to phone, even though my phone says bluetooth IS connected to Roam.  Both Roam and phone are connected to same wifi.  

I used to be able to switch from hearing music through Sonos App to hearing talk from YouTube videos through bluetooth connection to Roam. The problem is new, after the recent big update of Sonos App. 

Hi @Amymuse9 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m sorry to hear of the issues you are having in trying to play a Bluetooth feed to your Sonos Roam. 

I too have a Roam, and have been listening to it via Bluetooth from my phone for approximately 1 hour with no issues. The only difference being that I was not watching YouTube videos, but listening to YouTube Music instead. For the interest of completion, I have just started a video now - I’ll get back to you if I have any issues with it.

As I am unable to reproduce this issue, we have to assume the issue is local to you. Please try the following:

• Reboot the source device (whatever device is playing YouTube)
  • Reboot the Roam (remove from charge, hold power button for 5 seconds, wait 10 seconds, press power button to turn back on)
  • Keep the source close to (but no too close) the speaker - no further than about 5m, no closer than about 40cm (15 feet and 7” or 8”)
  • Reduce interference near the speaker and source device (see our Reducing wireless interference help page for guidance)

I hope this helps.

Edit: I forgot to ask - what kind of time-scale are we talking here? I’m presuming a few minutes.