Answered

Need help troubleshooting Sonos Move downgrade to S1

• 12 June 2023
  • 20 replies

I have tried to downgrade my Sonos Move to s1 multiple times.  I follow the instructions on S2 to downgrade a product. The S2 app initially finds the Sonos moves and connects to it and then asks for permission to connect to Sonos moves temporary Wi-Fi network. I provide permission and then I get a notification that the app is unable to find Sonos move and suggest that I connected directly to my router via internet cable and try again (and the Sonos move does not have an Ethernet port). Very frustrating. 

icon

Best answer by buzz 14 June 2023, 14:52

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

try reseting the app,
go to settings>app preferences> look for app reset,
then setup your device again in s1 app

Good idea. No luck unfortunately. Cannot set up the device in s1 until it's been downgraded to be used for s1. Move comes packaged as an S2 product only. Have tried resetting, and reinstalling S2 app. Still cannot get Move downgraded.  Spent a bunch of time on the phone with Support. Still no luck. I'm at a loss

Try powering down all S2 products except the MOVE.

Badge

Hi,

I am having same problem downgrading my new Move.
I have spent 2 days blocked from downgrading just going round in circles and can't call support until tomorrow.
I do not have any other S2 products. (2 older products using S1)

I have reset the Move and green light is flashing.
I have downloaded the S2 app (downloaded deleted and downloaded again).
I select the downgrade option
The S2 app can see the Move - next
I add my email to sign in and then it fails to connect saying i do not have internet connect…????
Im using my phone to search instructions so I clearly have. 

(I have tested my login works).

Des.

Hi,

I have spent 2 days blocked from downgrading just going round in circles and can't call support until tomorrow.

I add my email to sign in and then it fails to connect saying i do not have internet connect…????

Des.

It doesn’t mention anything here about having to sign in, see the Sonos support link below.

I have just quickly tested this, but didn’t get as far as actually downgrading anything (obviously), but the S2 App doesn’t ask for the user to sign in before searching/downgrading a device and once the FR device has been downgraded, you can just go onto delete the S2 App, that’s if not using …and then simply add the downgraded product (Move) to the S1 system via ‘Add Product’ in ‘Settings/System’ in the S1 App.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/downgrade-a-sonos-product-from-s2-to-s1

Attached are screenshots (in order) of what I saw during the S2 downgrade process… (no sign-in was requested)… at least up until the point where the App searches/finds the factory reset device.

Badge

**UPDATE**  - Error 30

After trawling the forum I found a few things to try.

• Turned off all S1 products.
    Closed all apps.
    Opened and reset S2 app.
    Placed the Move next to the router.
    Router security opened up for all new devices to attach.

This time I was able to go through wizard a bit further.

I can now login
I was able to Setup a temp wifi for Move and join my current wifi.

Then the wizard said I needed to update the Move, this keeps failing and I'm stuck in a loop.
It fails with Error 30 and says to connect via cable to router…..

I am really disappointed with how difficult this process is.
I have always sung SONOS praises and advised people to buy into the products as they are great and just work with rock solid performance, but 2 days looking at this and still getting no where.

Badge

**UPDATE** 2

Hi,

Des.

It doesn’t mention anything here about having to sign in, see the Sonos support link below.

I have just quickly tested this, but didn’t get as far as actually downgrading anything (obviously), but the S2 App doesn’t ask for the user to sign in before searching/downgrading a device and once the FR device has been downgraded, you can just go onto delete the S2 App, that’s if not using …and then simply add the downgraded product (Move) to the S1 system via ‘Add Product’ in ‘Settings/System’ in the S1 App.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/downgrade-a-sonos-product-from-s2-to-s1

Attached are screenshots (in order) of what I saw during the S2 downgrade process… (no sign-in was requested)… at least up until the point where the App searches/finds the factory reset device.

Hi Ken,

The wizard asks for an email after the last step you showed.
it finds the Move - click continue - asks for email

Des

Badge

**UPDATE** 3

I factory Reset the Move again and started process.

1. Take Move off the charging base.
  2. Press and hold the power button on the back of your Move for at least 5 seconds to power it off. You will hear a chime and the status LED on the top will turn off.
    It does not chime, but turns off aft6er 5 secs.
  3. While holding the Join button, press and release the power button.
    Nothing happens, absolutely nothing.
    • If your Move’s battery is not charged and won’t power on, you can place it on the charging base while holding the Join button instead.
      1st White flashing - 2nd White/Orange blinking - 3rd Green flashing - Which appears to be Correct.
  4. Continue holding the Join button until the light on top flashes orange and white.
  5. The light will flash green when the process is complete and your Sonos Move is ready to be set up.

I logged in and app is up to date
I was able to Setup and join a temp wifi for the Move and then join my current wifi.

Then the wizard said I needed to update the Move. 

This still keeps failing and I'm stuck in a loop.
It fails with Error 30 and says to connect via cable to router…..

The Move is blinking White/Orange while trying to update.

Please Help…………...

Des

@FunkyStonker

I would maybe try this - setup the ‘Move’ on your S2 App once again. It should update during the actual setup of the speaker. When setup is complete and registered, wait for one minute or so.

Now factory reset the ‘Move’ again - Note between your mentioned step-2 (powering off) and step-3 (powering on) ..you do need to wait 10 seconds before powering it back on with the join button pressed - you can let the join button go when you see the status LED flash Amber.. no need to wait till it flashes Green. It will switch to flashing Green after a few seconds anyway.

Now reset the Sonos App (from Settings/App Preferences) and then try the downgrade process once again and see if it then perhaps works for you. 

Badge

Thanks Ken, much appreciated.

I have begrudgingly bit the bullet and ordered a Port.
I am going to move to S2 completely.
I now only have a ZonePlayer connected to my home cinema downstairs as I just sold the rest of my kit (3 rooms) in order to upgrade at some point in the future. (Thats why i bought a Move).

I didn't want to upgrade yet, but feel it will be easier in the long run, and a little forced to.

Hopefully my Boost can be configured easily in the upgrade, as I have seen a few posts about them not moving onto S2………..fingers crossed

The BRIDGE is the device that can not be moved to S2. The BOOST easily runs it. 

Badge

**UPDATE 4***   (Moving from S1 to S2)

The nightmare continues plus good news.

I thought I would share my story in case it helps anyone not want to send back 800quids worth of products.

1st setup Attempt.

The new port arrived and the Move is still a paperweight.

(I have left the S1 network and products alone - Boost & ZonePlayer).

I download the S2 app and start to setup a “NEW” system, it finds the port and starts the install.
Half way through its trying to join my network and I remember the router is set to block any new devices from joining, by the time I open it up the sonos wizard had timed out.

I started again but at this point no matter what I reset, retried, rebooted or setup followed S2 couldn't find any products. About 30mins later and very frustrated it told me the port was registered to another system, so I had to factory reset it.

2nd Setup Attempt.

This is important as its not mentioned if you are upgrading from S1.
I chose the option to join an existing system. (Out of frustration).

Now this is how I expect Sonos stuff to work - easy, straight forward, pain free and fool proof.

The first message on S2 is that my system needs updating- OK.
A bit strange as none of the products are attached yet.
Neither of my new products are flashing to indicate they are being updated, so not sure what's going on at this point….. but I am moving forward.
(However, I later realised it was updating my boost - an information popup would be good).
Then it finds my Move, starts updating but fails as its not on the network yet, cancel out. (Its a known feature I knew about).
The S2 app is also now showing the Port can be added.
Port added and updated - OK.
Move added and updated - OK.

All ok and working, just waiting for indexing to finish.

Thanks all for your help.
Des.

Badge

Apologies for hijacking this thread and taking it off on a tangent.

Apologies for hijacking this thread and taking it off on a tangent.

That’s okay, so do you think the issue might have been with your router being set to block new devices from joining the network? Was that MAC address filtering, or some other device-blocking method?

Badge

Hi Ken,

No it wasn't, I turned it off on my first attempt to add the Move last weekend as I know its on.
I forgot today as I was excited on receiving my Port :)

It’s standard functionality on the NetGear Nighthawk routers (RAX200), MAC address blocking (ips can change), if your names not on the list you ain't getting in.

Hi Ken,

No it wasn't, I turned it off on my first attempt to add the Move last weekend as I know its on.
I forgot today as I was excited on receiving my Port :)

It’s standard functionality on the NetGear Nighthawk routers (RAX200), MAC address blocking (ips can change), if your names not on the list you ain't getting in.

So probably something to do with the Sonos Boost needing an update then - Oh well, I guess all’s well that ends well. 👍

Badge

I bought a Play1 from a stranger but have been unable to connect it to my network. It appears to need to be downgraded since some of my equipment isn’t compatible with the S1. The S1 controller finds the item but asks me for an email but rejects the email with my account. Does this mean it’s looking for the seller’s email address? Is there any workaround? (This item has been factory reset already.)

This problem drove me nuts.  My solution, I created a totally different email account that had nothing to do with sonos.  That was the key to getting my Move to downgrade to S1.

I believe my email that I had used to register all my current sonos S1 products causes some Software bug to surface in the process of downgrading.   Using a totally unknown email (to sonos) made the downgrade finally complete.

Once downgraded I added the Move to my existing setup.

Rbasil,

Thanks for your post!  I was adding another used Play:1 and needed to downgrade it.  I spent several hours today with no progress.  I received all the same error messages posted above.  Your simple solution was exactly what I needed. 

I used a different email address that I rarely use to create a “dummy” Sonos account. I started the downgrade process and it sailed right through it without issue.  

Thank you so much for posting your solution.  I generally don’t post or comment, but your post deserved it. 

Rbasil, THANK YOU. I had the same problem for hours of troubleshooting while downgrading a Beam *Gen1 , and after creating a new account with a different email address, something other than my primary Sonos email address/login, everything downgraded smoothly and the Beam is now on S1.