Answered

Multiple WI-Fi profiles with same Sonos account

• 24 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi.

I have multiple Sonos speakers all on my home wifi. I am taking a trip soon and will take my Roam speaker with me. I have a travel router I am also taking with me. I would like to add the travel router wifi to my existing Sonos account and simply direct the roam speaker to that router when I reach my destination. When I return home I want to simply switch Roam back to the home wifi from the travel router wifi. 

My question - is this possible or can Sonos only be connected to one wifi? Currently it seems I have to reset the Roam anytime I want to use a different wifi account. 

I don’t want to set up a separate Sonos account - I just want the ability to “switch” which wifi the speaker is connected to easily. 

Can anyone help a gal out? 

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Sotiris C. 24 April 2024, 13:39

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello @Coco Chanel, welcome to the Sonos Community!
First of all, you shouldn’t reset your Sonos Roam every time you need to have it connect to your travel router Wi-Fi. All you’ve got to do is simply add the travel router Wi-Fi on your Sonos system.

You can do so by temporarily power off your home Wi-Fi → power on your travel router while at home → connect your smartphone to the travel router Wi-Fi and follow our Support Article Connect Sonos to a new router or WiFi network.

This way your Sonos Roam (and any other Sonos product from your system) will connect to the travel router Wi-Fi when the home Wi-Fi is not available.

I’ve got about 6 different networks saved on my Sonos System from all the friends and family houses I’ve brought a Sonos product to and whenever I visit them, my speaker automatically connects to their network.

You can also Pair Sonos Roam with Bluetooth, but I imagine there must be a reason to go the extra step with the travel router.

At this moment, there is no feature available to manually switch between Wi-Fi networks from within the Sonos App, but I’ve tagged this thread as a feature request and forwarded it to the appropriate teams for consideration.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Or do what I do and have you Travel Route with the same ssid and password as your home :)

Just don’t have them both powered on in the same vicinity.

SONOS will keep track of up to 16 WiFi networks. At home I have two WiFi networks and a given player is free to choose. I also have taken a unit to work and signed-on to that WiFi for a day. After I brought the unit back home it updated the other players. Now I can take any player to work and simply walk in.