Answered

Move not charging or turning on

• 3 May 2023
  • 1 reply

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hi everyone, I’ve got a Move which doesn’t appear to be turning on or charging over USB-C as the battery indicator and main status light aren’t lighting up. Unfortunately I don’t have the dock as it’s a 2nd hand unit. I’ve tried 2 power supplies which should be able to provide the power it needs (65W laptop charger and a 90W charger from a Philips 346B1C PC monitor, the monitor can provide 12 V/3 A and 15 V/3 A which meet the Move’s spec).

To try and diagnose where the problem is, does anyone know:

1. Can the Move operate without the battery if it’s plugged into power?
  2. Can I run diagnostics over the USB port?
  3. Is there a way to check the battery level (including with a multi meter)?

I’d also be interested to know if there are other steps I can take to diagnose and (hopefully) fix the problem.

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by Corry P 4 May 2023, 10:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @KBTB 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

1. Not as far as I am aware.
  2. No.
  3. Not as far as I am aware.

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports, though I did find the following information on USB-C charging which may be of help:

The" USB-C PD" (Power Delivery) charger must meet the following requirements, otherwise, the Move cannot charge from the USB-C port

• The power adapter must be "USB-C PD."

• Recommended rating 45 watts or greater. The PD source must output either 20V/2.25A (or higher current) or 15V/3A (or higher current).

• Some 36 Watt chargers may work however, charging speed is expected to be reduced if listening to audio at the same time.

• 36 watt chargers must output a minimum 12V/3A or 15V/2.4A. Anything less than these requirements will not power nor charge the Move.

• Note: PPS (Programmable Power Supply) and Turbo/Fast Charging adapters are not recommended, but may work. Fast charging uses a higher voltage such as 9V or 12V but a lower current, which may result in slower charging times.

I hope this helps.