Move 2 roaming and wifi channel issues

• 29 October 2023
  • 3 replies

My Move 2 appears to be a very sticky client when it comes to roaming between the accesspoints throughout my house. I have also have two Roams that do not have any roaming issues and hop from one to another AP without issues. I guess some driver-tweaking is still required to improve that.

Another issue I encounter is that the Move 2 refuses to connect to one of my accesspoints that runs on 5GHz wifi channel 153. It simply does not connect to it, even when it is placed next to the AP. Are there any region restrictions in play? I am in Europe but run my wifi system with US location setting. None of my other wifi-clients (Androids, iPhones, etc.) exhibit the same problem.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Channel 153 it actually permitted in EU, but at low power. That said it’s not uncommon for devices with an EU region setting to not use channels 149-177.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Can you configure your access points to force a client switch based on signal level?

I know little about that, just saw it on a list of advanced options I decided not to mess with.

I tried that (I have a Unifi set-up, by the way), but the Move 2 refuses to connect to the AP with the channel 153 setting. I also tried the option to lock the Move 2 to that particular AP, but again no luck.

Current workaround is switching channels of concerned AP (which is outside in the garden) and the one in my attic. The garden AP now transmits on channel 80 and now the Move 2 connects without issues.