Long-Press Play to Power On and Group

• 26 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

FEATURE REQUEST

It would be cool if you could long-press the play/pause button on the Roam to turn it on, and then automatically group it with existing playback in another room.

I often strap my Roam to me and walk around the house with it grouped to another room. I have to turn it on, wait for it to wifi, then group it to the other room. It would be nice to automatically wake/power it with the same long-press action that places it in a group.

The Roam takes some time to power up, so it might not be an instant response. However, I think it would cut out a step in my workflow (maybe other users too?...) if Play/Pause also served as a POWER ON button when long-pressed.

Maybe an audible chime on the long-press from sleep/standby/off will indicate that the speaker acknowledges my request and is working on it.

Totally a first-world problem. But something I would like to have.

Any thoughts?...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

If your have your Phone with you just open the  Sonos app to the Roam and select the speaker(s) you want to group.

Badge

@AjTrek1 Thanks for your reply.

I'm familiar with how to group speakers using the controller. However, the controller doesn't see portable speakers unless they are actually powered on.

I am suggesting an alternate way to power on the Roam using the play/pause button instead of the power button. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

There have been many changes made to both Roam and Move to lower standby battery usage.  This has resulted in deep sleep which needs to be exited via Power Button press rather than play/pause.

Have you tried with Battery Saver option disabled for the Roam?  This wakes the device when the Sonos App is opened (or.. I Think... the play button is pressed) but drastically reduces battery standby life.  

Badge

@bockersjv good suggestion. I'll experiment with that to get more familiar with how it changes the speaker's behavior. Thanks!