Answered

Latency between Sonos Roam and MacBook when using Bluetooth

• 8 December 2023
  • 4 replies

My Sonos Roam has a weird kind of latency when I connect it to my MacBook via bluetooth. The way it manifests is, whenever I play audio from my MacBook, (let’s say a YouTube video) the source video will freeze for a few seconds, then the video will begin and audio begins playing through the speaker.

When I stop the source on my MacBook, the audio will continue to play through my Sonos Roam for a few seconds before stopping.

And sometimes, the audio and video can even get out of sync which is very annoying and requires me to refresh the page.

Does anyone know why this is happening? It seems like some kind of buffering that I’d like to disable if possible. Cheers

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 15 December 2023, 17:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @shenberg, welcome to the Sonos Community!

We don’t have any built-in buffering with Bluetooth audio, but audio issues via Bluetooth playback can be effected by the same issues when playing over Wi-FI, so I’d recommend checking our wireless interference article and following the advice listed. 

Does the issue occur with any source or is it specific such as YouTube? If you Bluetooth another device to the Roam, does it still have the delay? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Can you try Airplay instead?

Hi @shenberg, welcome to the Sonos Community!

We don’t have any built-in buffering with Bluetooth audio, but audio issues via Bluetooth playback can be effected by the same issues when playing over Wi-FI, so I’d recommend checking our wireless interference article and following the advice listed. 

Does the issue occur with any source or is it specific such as YouTube? If you Bluetooth another device to the Roam, does it still have the delay? 

1. It occurs with any source including audio-only sources
  2. Other devices e.g. my phone do experience the same issue

I’ve noticed though, that if I restart the Sonos then the issue goes away for a little while.

Can you try Airplay instead?

With AirPlay, the audio and video are completely out-of-sync

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @shenberg,

With a restart resolving the issue temporarily, it’s possible that duplicate IP addresses are your issue, which one of our users have written a post about with some useful information that I’ll link below:

It is still possible interference could be the cause, but I’d recommend checking out the linked thread first. If that doesn’t help, then please submit a diagnostics and reach out to our support team, as they have the necessary tools to help you troubleshoot this issue.