Is the Roam a defective product?

• 2 April 2023
  • 4 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

I have $$$ of Sonos that I have purchased over the last two years.  I frequently have minor problems.  But, I have a problem often, as in weekly, with the Roam.  At present, its fully charged and I can’t get it to work properly.  It seem stuck in “Sleep Mode” or it says that it need upgrade but when I attempt to upgrade, I receive a error message after several minutes.  This has happened several times before.  I like the portability when it works but after a year I’m about to give up on the Roam or only use it for bluetooth.

4 replies

Roam is 100% defective.

• I have had two for nearly 2 years. Absolutely regret buying them because they simply do not work as they should. So very frustrating. 

• on WiFi the device takes multiple attempts to connect, drops out every 3-5 minutes and does not reconnect without stopping everything you are doing to re-a quaint the devise with the app and WiFi again. 

• on Bluetooth it has a better chance of working, but is still not nearly reliable enough to be acceptable.

• require constant reconnecting to the app, to your WiFi, to Bluetooth. 

• Defective device

Well, those are views…

I don’t share them, I have a Roam, and it works really well great product for the price.

Have either of you tried getting help?

Similar to @Traveller - the Wife and I have had two Sonos Roams since they were first launched, both work absolutely perfect without any issues. I can’t recall ever having an issue with either Roam. The can play all day, every day. We often take them away from the Home when ‘glamping’ too.

I’ll back this statement that the Roam is a defective product. I’ve owned 2 and they both stopped working a few months after the warranty expired. The first one I called support and after a few weeks of back and forth and a couple hours of frustration on the phone with them they agreed to take it back in exchange for a 30% off coupon on a new device but only once I sent my old unit back to them. It’s not worth your time to call support. My only hope is some attorney comes in one day and decided to create a class action lawsuit.

My second one went in the trash and I didn’t even bother to waste my time on support.