Answered

Grouping vs stereo pairing with Roam

• 9 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

Just got a pair of Roams, pretty impressed, but there’s a couple of things that seem a little disappointing, although it could be that I’m doing something wrong, so I want to ask some expert advice please;

1. Firstly, I had assumed that I could pair them in stereo when they are in the same space just by  a quick press of a button on the app, and then when I move one back in to another room, they would ‘de-stereo’ (for want of a better way of describing it). Instead it seems to be a bit more of a multi step set-up up process, in particular when I want to move them apart again, I have to ‘Remove Stereo Pair’ which is a bit more of a permanent process, requiring me to go through the multi-step set up process when I want to pair them again. Am I missing something here, is there a simpler and quicker way to use them in stereo just by bringing them together, and just as easily reverse this by separating them again?
  2. I also thought it would be easy to have them set up to use in a group AND as a stereo pair (albeit not at the same time) and switch easily between the two. However from my short time playing with them so far it seems they can be used in a group OR as a stereo pair, and setting them up one way means you can’t use them in the other, unless you go through a multi step set up process, like the pairing process as mentioned in the previous paragraph. Again, am I missing something here?

Thanks for your help 

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 9 January 2024, 23:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Not missing anything.

Sonos treats Paired or Bonded (home-theater) sets of speakers as a single Room.

You have to unPair or unBond the speakers to use them as individual Rooms.

Badge

Not missing anything.

Sonos treats Paired or Bonded (home-theater) sets of speakers as a single Room.

You have to unPair or unBond the speakers to use them as individual Rooms.

Thank you. Is there a difference between stereo pairing then and grouping 2 speakers? Clearly the combined sound of 2 speakers grouped together is a lot fuller than 1 speaker on its own, but when grouped are they basically both playing in mono (and therefore the only way to get a stereo split is to pair them as discussed in the original post)?

Stereo pairing means one speaker is handling the left channel of the stereo signal, the other speaker is handling the right channel. 

Grouping the two speakers means that each speaker is handling both right and left at the same time. 

So, yes, your last sentence is a true statement.