Deco M5 with Sonos Move

• 29 December 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I have a Deco M5 operating in "Router" (with no other wifi access point or router as it is directly connected to the fibre ONT). I have one sonos hardwired to a deco point and all but one of my sonos devices is on WM:0 Sonosnet. The one device that is not, is the Sonos Move ( which cannot connect to Sonosnet ) seems to be having connectivity issues with wifi as it sometimes disappears from the sonos app? Any idea what this could be and how can I troubleshoot?

Mark

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Where is the one Sonos unit physically connected? It’s recommended to wire it to the primary node, not to one of the wireless mesh satellites.

Is the Move connecting on 2.4GHz or 5GHz? Do you have a choice with Deco to split the bands onto different SSIDs?

Also, is there any correlation between the Move going missing and the last mesh node it was attached to?

Its connected to a satellite node as the primary mode is not easily accessible. Why does that cause issues?

I've seen it connect on both bands when failed so I don't think that is causing an issue. Any idea why this would cause issues? I can't split the bands unfortunately.

I will try and track which AP it is connecting to to see if that is causing issues. Again, what is the mechanism that could be causing issues. I keep reading in these forums about DHCP issues but I should only have one DHCP server (i.e the deco unit?)

Thanks

What’s the device with the Sonos app connected to when you lose the Move? Presumably a Deco node, on one or other band.

I was just wondering whether there was any problem with the controller’s discovery broadcasts not getting from the mobile to the Move, if they had to bridge between bands or between nodes, or both. There could be a pattern to the misbehaviour.

It should be the same SSID but maybe a different deco node (or maybe different band). How does the broadcast work? Is it a unicast connection to the move IP address or is there some kind of multicast or broadcast? I presume all comms are layer 3 (IP) rather than later 2 (ethernet) so as long as there is IP connectivity then everything should work?

The controller uses SSDP to initially discover the players, multicasting UDP to 239.255.255.250:1900 and, for good measure, broadcasting to 255.255.255.255:1900. Thereafter communication is unicast.

That's clear. As the controller had already established the IP address of the Move, it should have been communicating unicast to the Move's IP address. I caught one connection issue and the Move seemed to have a weak wifi connection to one of the Decos over 5Ghz. Maybe it just lost Wifi. I also noticed that "Mesh Technology" is disabled for this IP address on the Deco (probably when I was debugging another issue earlier - I originally did not have any devices wired and it was really flaky). I have enabled this and disabled "Fast Roaming" (which can apparently cause problems on some devices- this is 802.11r according to the documentation). It seems a bit more stable now but I'll leave it for a day or two to be sure.