change of router but cant connect Play 3

• 14 November 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a new router so I need to change my Sonos with the new network name and password. 

I try the Sonos app to connect to the Sonos device, assume it is through Bluetooth but can not find device.

My Sonos works through wireless but to try to connect I connect the Sonos and the new router . Doing this the Sonos works but I want it to work wirelessly. Still connected I go into settings to look for WiFi setup but asks me to login but when I try it says incorrect even after changing password. The app mentions an email account that's starts with an s and the asterisks, I know nothing about this account.

I have done this before when I had a new router and can't remember having problems. If I go back to my old router it works ok

Thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

See this link…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

Start by wiring the speaker to the new router and then add the new WiFi credentials, as mentioned in the above Sonos support document.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The unknown e-mail in your account credentials is worrying though. You could reset the speaker and use the right one, but you's have to set up all your preferences again.

Userlevel 1

Hi , reset the play3 but still can't connect wirelessly. I connect the play 3 to my router via network cable. I can the play music ok via the Sonos app or directly from my Spotify app. So that ok but I don't want to wire it in I want it to work wirelessly.

I goto system , network,manage network,update network. It then asks me to add trusted network or make a change to network, I say yes. I select find system and it finds my play3. It tells me to disconnect my network cable and press the top 2 buttons simultaneously, I select I pressed the buttons. It says let's connect your mobile device to your play 3, this doesn't work but not sure I want that. I just want to change the WiFi name and password on the play 3 to allow me to play wirelessly. thanks 

You need to let your mobile connect to its temporary WiFi hotspot (called ‘Sonos’) when prompted and when it’s linked, then add the new WiFi credentials (2.4Ghz band) and it will then reboot and work on your WiFi (er… hopefully).

Userlevel 1

Thanks Ken, it does try to connect to SONOS but then fails to connect after a while. It says to get nearer to the Sonos but I am up close. I will try a different mobile device to see if this works 

Thanks Ken, it does try to connect to SONOS but then fails to connect after a while. It says to get nearer to the Sonos but I am up close. I will try a different mobile device to see if this works 

Try rebooting the speaker, router and the mobile controller device - doing one of those things, usually sorts the ‘WiFi hotspot’ connection issue .. try fully closing the App too.

When things are successful, you will see the new routers WiFi network (SSID) in the Sonos App "Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks” area of the App - Also if your old routers WiFi network credentials are still stored there, then just remove those by selecting the entry in the network list.

Userlevel 1

Now working, used my old android phone and connected to SONOS, straight away asked for WiFi system name and the password, many thanks for help Ken and to 106rallye