Skip to main content

CONFIG:

1. MacBook Pro 16” M1 Max running latest OS (Sonoma 14.5)
  2. Sonos Move 

SITUATION: out traveling and want to watch downloaded movies through Apple TV app on my MacBook Pro. Tried 100x but no luck getting audio to play over Sonos Move - why not?! I can successfully listen to audio from Apple “Music” app without a problem at home over wifi. I also CAN get audio to play on the Move from my iPhone over Bluetooth (obviously, when we’re on the go, there’s no WiFi network) but no/never audio from the Apple “TV” application for movies. what’s going on?

Are you turning off Bluetooth on your iPhone when trying to connect with your Mac?

There are ways for Apps to not send certain things…for instance, I can’t use the Amazon video app on my iPad to AirPlay 2 to another person’s Apple TV, which is extremely frustrating, although I have to admit I haven’t tried it one hundred times. 

The first thing I’d try is to get the Bluetooth connection between the Mac and the Move to play regular audio, I.e, use the Apple Music player, or have it play regular OS / desktop sounds, to ensure that I’d made a proper Bluetooth connection. Then, once that is working properly, I would move on to the Apple TV app, and see if perhaps Apple had blocked its ability to send audio via Bluetooth. If that is the case, I’d be complaining to Apple, not Sonos, since the Sonos wouldn’t be receiving any data to play. 

M2 Mac Pro, Sonoma 14.7, Sonos Move, Apple TV app plays audio fine via Bluetooth.

So I don’t think it’s a restriction. 

Have you tried updating your Mac to the latest version of Sonoma first?