Answered

Alarm sometimes won’t turn on on Roam

• 11 March 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi there everybody. I have two Sonos Roam and some cabled Sonos (One, One SL, …) and I seem to have a problem with alarms on Roams.

Sometimes (not every morning) the alarm won’t turn on on Roam. It doesn’t play the chimes, either, so it’s not an Internet connection issue.

The strangest thing is this: in the Sonos app, the Roam device is not even offline since I can see itbut the status led is off. As soon as I press play the led turn on and the music starts to play. So it seems that the Roam is connected, online but with the led off and the alarm not started!

After the occurrence I try to set another alarm, put the Roam in stand-by and wait. And then the alarm works!

In my experience, this happened with the Roam only, with the Ones I sometimes had the chimes instead of the music, but the alarm always worked.

I’ve sent the diagnostic 1074509429. The alarm was set to turn on at 6:40 AM (Central European Time), roughly one hour before the end of the diagnostic. The Roam is called “Cameretta”, if it helps.

Thanks a lot

MrG

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 11 March 2022, 20:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge

I will add that the Roam in question, when the alarm didn’t turn on, was unplugged from power charge. The battery level though was high,

I will add that the Roam in question, when the alarm didn’t turn on, was unplugged from power charge. The battery level though was high,

Is this whilst you have the Roam’s ‘battery saver’ mode enabled, or not?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5085

If it is enabled, the Speaker will likely be powering itself off, if held off its charger. Maybe see what happens when it’s left on its charger.

Badge

Hi Ken. No, the battery saver mode is not enabled.

Yes, I think I’ll have to give it a try with the charger attached. What bugs me, though, that even off its charger the alarm most of the time works. It’s a bit unpredictable

Hi Ken. No, the battery saver mode is not enabled.

Yes, I think I’ll have to give it a try with the charger attached. What bugs me, though, that even off its charger the alarm most of the time works. It’s a bit unpredictable

Off it’s charger, perhaps there is a ‘deep-sleep’ mode, which I’m not personally aware of, but maybe it’s a further battery saving feature for those that are not choosing to use the optional battery saver feature, so perhaps try this suggestion…

Manually put the Roam into sleep mode (using quick press on rear power button) with an alarm set for say 35+ minutes, or so …and see if it wakes up. I’m thinking 35+ minutes is perhaps enough time for it to fall fast asleep.

Just remember to not open the controller App on the network subnet during the sleep-period, as that will wake the device. 

Interesting to see what happens and also interesting to see if keeping it on the charger resolves the matter - if not, my other thoughts would be to increase the DHCP servers IP address lease time on the router, to a period greater than 24 hours, just to see if that may change anything for you too.

Badge

Ken, first of all thanks for taking the time to answer, I appreciate it :-)

Unfortunately I’ve already performed the first test you suggest, putting manually the Roam on stand by having set an alarm in the future… It normally works! Moreover, the alarm usually works in the morning after a whole night of stand-by mode off the charger.

The suggestion on the lease time is interesting (I didn’t do that) but the subtext is that the Roam is not connected, while, as I’ve seen this morning (to my puzzlement), is that when I opened the controller app the Roam was online but with the led off! My other Roam (I have two of them) went online as soon as I opened the app, while the ‘problematic’ Roam seemed already online. The led, though, switched on as soon as I pressed play. It’s the first time that I see this behavior.

I’m curious to know if the diagnostics tell something about this.

In the meantime, I’ll for sure try and see if the alarm behavior is more consistent if the Roam is connected to the charger, even if in stand-by.

Thanks a lot

If you follow this LINK, perhaps at some later time, when your own testing is complete, you can chat/contact Sonos Support Staff online and maybe ask them to look at your diagnostic report too, to see if anything can be gleaned from that - they may suggest trying a different fixed non-overlapping WiFi channel 1, 6 or 11 for example, with a channel width of 20MHz only to try to help reduce the potential for any WiFi interference.