Spotify Connect, serious competition

• 3 September 2013
  • 254 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

254 replies

Badge
And hopefully Spotify will realize that Sonos is good for them too. I was a Spotify free user (desktop only) until I got Sonos. It was having Sonos that pushed me into adding the premium service, wanting to have a vast library of old and new music at my disposal. Same for a family member that I sold Sonos on and subsequently Spotify premium. It is a natural fit. I understand wanting the other guy to play by your rules (API). Hopefully both will see value in the other and continue to work together.

As long as we don't lose functionality, I am probably content with the status quo: Spotify playlists and local storage for when I know what I want to listen to and Pandora and local radio for exploring.
Userlevel 2
Leaving aside that there are plenty of good streaming services that work with Sonos (and Spotify still works btw, just not Spotify Connect), what difference would putting a Connect in someone's house make compared to a Play:1, they both play EXACTLY the same streaming services, there's no difference in what's on offer.

Utterly wrong. They play from the same service but the API Spotify exposes has like a third of the features it actually delivers in their application: no radio, no music discovery. You've got to manage everything in Spotify to make it available in Sonos, or at least, this is way more simple in Spotify.
And this is not a limitation from Sonos as they have implemented all of the exposed methods in Spotify's API.

Anyhow, Spotify has already realized Sonos is good for them. They asked Sonos to be part of the Spotify Connect initiative but Sonos' CEO refused.
He thinks tying up too close to one of the music service available out there is not aligned to Sonos' beliefs to make available all the music of the world through their speaker.
Userlevel 1
Utterly wrong. They play from the same service but the API Spotify exposes has like a third of the features it actually delivers in their application: no radio, no music discovery. You've got to manage everything in Spotify to make it available in Sonos, or at least, this is way more simple in Spotify.
And this is not a limitation from Sonos as they have implemented all of the exposed methods in Spotify's API.

Err, I'm only "utterly wrong" if you've completely missed my point, which you have. My point was, there's no difference between the spotify functionality offered by a Sonos Connect and a Play:1, which is what the other bloke was apparently saying.
Userlevel 2
Sure. If I did, my mistake, sorry!
Userlevel 1
No worries.
He thinks tying up too close to one of the music service available out there is not aligned to Sonos' beliefs to make available all the music of the world through their speaker.

Is this a joke? If not WTF!!!
Userlevel 2
I have purchased my first Sonos player only a couple of days ago.
Spotify was a major factor in my decision to purchase Sonos. I already have their premium account. I use it on my PC, iPad and iPhone.
The functionality does vary between the different uses, but they basically all seem to use the Spotify interface.
The Sonos Control varies depending on what you are controlling it with. None are actually as good as the Spotify when used on iPad or a PC. The Sonos conroller on iPhone is awkward and not particularly user friendly. iPad and desk top are far better as it's easier to navigate between what's playing and browsing for more music.
what really is missing ,especially if you use to using Spotify on a PC is the way it guides you to new music and links with Facebook etc. It's a pity the normal Spotify can't be used and just use the sonus o listen to what's being played.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I have multiple IOS devices and have tried Spotify Connect with one device plugged into Sonos and the other acting as the controller and, whilst this works OK, there is one glaring omission and that is the VOLUME CONTROL which is totally lacking. This makes it pretty much useless for me.

However, having all but given up hope, I found another solution named 'SpotQueue' (search it on the App Store). There are 2 apps - one the media player (SpotQueue) and the other the remote (SpotQueue Remote). Install them both add your login details into SpotQueue and it syncs your playlists, artists and albums from Spotify. These can be added into a music queue (same like Sonos) or alternatively used to start Radio stations exactly like they are in Spotify. Most importantly, the 'remote' device (which exactly replicates the 'media' device) can adjust the volume which is fed into Sonos.

The app is by no means perfect - for example whatever is being played on the Radio can be added to a playlist but you cannot browse the artist or album without having to search for it first. Also 'Top Tracks' are missing from the Artist plus some other bits and bobs.

This app differs from 'Sponos' on Android which, although connects directly to Sonos network, does not have any Spotify integration in terms of adding to playlists and browsing / playing from your spotify library. You do however need 2 IOS devices and a Sonos device with a line-in !

It makes me wonder if all this can be achieved with a 3rd party app, why Sonos cant do better in their own app. You dont need the Spotify app installed to use it and is not endorsed by Spotify so must use the already available API/plugins. The blurb on Itunes says 'This product uses SPOTIFY CORE', whatever that is ! Seems like Sonos are missing a trick.
Userlevel 1
Badge
All these workarounds really are a crappy experience. It is amazing how bad Spotify is on Sonos though vs. the actual application. I constantly have trouble seeing new albums and seeing new playlists in playlist folders on Sonos. It is becoming a huge pain.

I'm probably going to end up switching to Beats Music because it isn't Sonos' fault really - it is Spotify's buggy API. Beats, despite its name and headphones, is a very solid service all-around.
Userlevel 2
These services are not quite so interchangeable in EU. There's a reduced number of them compared to the US, and in quality terms Spotify has been out in front.

Actually I do think that Spotify is loosing ground vs other streaming platforms. They were one of the first in EU to offer this but I do see that for example Deezer despite not launched yet in the US (scheduled for this year 2014) they are readily available already in 222 countries. The available songs are also higher than Spotify and the launch in US will surely push them even higher in the ranking and song choices.

So Spotify might still be strong in Europe however I think we should look at others that do offer more today already.
Actually I do think that Spotify is loosing ground vs other streaming platforms. They were one of the first in EU to offer this but I do see that for example Deezer despite not launched yet in the US (scheduled for this year 2014) they are readily available already in 222 countries. The available songs are also higher than Spotify and the launch in US will surely push them even higher in the ranking and song choices.

So Spotify might still be strong in Europe however I think we should look at others that do offer more today already.

You're quoting a post of mine from 6 months ago. In Internet time that's a eon and things have moved on, both in quantity and quality of streaming possibilities.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I really don't understand now why Sonos won't support Spotify Connect (unless it is hardware issue and I really don't think it is) because of the newly announced integration with the Google Music app. It bypasses the Sonos queue and "goes against" how Sonos works.

I just have to hope that Sonos is working with Spotify on a different solution other than Connect to make the experience better because too much is missing now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I really don't understand now why Sonos won't support Spotify Connect (unless it is hardware issue and I really don't think it is) because of the newly announced integration with the Google Music app. It bypasses the Sonos queue and "goes against" how Sonos works.

I just have to hope that Sonos is working with Spotify on a different solution other than Connect to make the experience better because too much is missing now.

me too. Ive tried all the other music services available to me (UK) which are also compatible with sonos. all fall short in some way or other compared to spotify so Id really like to stick with it but the sonos integration sucks. If spotify would add 'Play on Sonos' to the existing 'connect' function that would be the icing on the cake.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I just came across this via a post on the 'Sonos Fans' page on google+. Fon have launched a streaming music player with Spotify being the initially provider.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fon/gramofon-modern-cloud-jukebox

in the FAQ it says "Do I need to download an app to be able to play music on the Gramofon?

No. Gramofon works with the music apps you love most. It is hassle free...."

meaning that Spotify is sending directly to the Gramofon from its own app. Again, Sonos are missing a trick here.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I just came across this via a post on the 'Sonos Fans' page on google+. Fon have launched a streaming music player with Spotify being the initially provider.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fon/gramofon-modern-cloud-jukebox

in the FAQ it says "Do I need to download an app to be able to play music on the Gramofon?

No. Gramofon works with the music apps you love most. It is hassle free...."

meaning that Spotify is sending directly to the Gramofon from its own app. Again, Sonos are missing a trick here.

If you watch the video you can see that they're using Spotify Connect to play to it. The device shows up on there.

I'm definitely irritated that Sonos is ignoring Spotify Connect, especially now that they've embraced casting (well, more like the DIAL protocol) from the Google Music Android app.
Userlevel 1
And now spottily has added the long awaited "Your Music" feature which allows you to organise your music by artist and album rather than playlists. Guess what - not available on Sonos.

There's a request for this over on the ask.sonos site - https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/your_music_feature_on_spotify

However, I wouldn't hold out much hope - spotify are concentrating on Spotify connect and don't seem to be adding new functionality to their API (spotify radio being another example).

I've now cancelled my spotify subscription. I'm just not prepared to continue paying for a premium subscription when I'm not able to get access to all the features.

Mike
Userlevel 1
Badge
http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/09/spotify-now-handles-multi-room-streaming-on-samsung-devices/

I posted this in another thread, but it is interesting that you can now play to multiple rooms at once with Spotify Connect on the Samsung Shape speaker system. Maybe Spotify has altered the Connect protocol a bit to allow for this, which may be good news for Sonos... if in fact they are hoping to do the same thing. Who knows.

Just hoping.
I don't understand why Spotify is going the old Apple route of a proprietary protocol, like Airplay. Why not do what all the other streaming services are doing, adopting Google's open ChromeCast protocol? Or at least UPnP, which Sonos can render.

I've stayed far away from Apple for their proprietary ways, and will do the same with Spotify. Lots of better alternatives.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yeah, it would be nice if they used the DIAL protocol as a fallback (what Chromecast is), then it could be supported in a wide range of devices easily. I can't really blame them too much for making Spotify Connect though since they have more control over development. I believe in the future they're going to keep your play queue "in the cloud" as well so it really syncs across devices which is something that would not be possible with DIAL or UPnP.

What better alternatives are you speaking of? I've pretty much tried them all and for the desktop and mobile experience beyond Sonos, I don't think anyone can touch Spotify unfortunately. Google Music came REALLY close for me, though.
Rdio and Google are both superior, IMO. Google is just getting started. They own Android, and their player is installed by default on millions of devices. If they can integrate Songza's simple curation method, add a few more features, and get Chromecast into more homes, Spotify will be looking less attractive.

Spotify has really mucked up their UI with the black background. What's up with that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Spotify has really mucked up their UI with the black background. What's up with that?

Ha - and sonos followed suit !
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What better alternatives are you speaking of? I've pretty much tried them all and for the desktop and mobile experience beyond Sonos, I don't think anyone can touch Spotify unfortunately. Google Music came REALLY close for me, though.

I'm with you on this - I've tried all those available in the UK. Spotify provides the best all round experience across desktop, mobile and sonos. However with the recent change to 'my music', the gap is growing between what spotify offers vs sonos' integration. I spend the most time in my car using the mobile app so this is more important than anything for me. Google comes close of all the rest but the mobile app is pretty poor on IOS. If spotify and sonos worked together to get sonos working with spotify connect I would quit bashing them over the terrible new UI (5.0) as I'd never have to use it again other than the occasional setting.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm with you on this - I've tried all those available in the UK. Spotify provides the best all round experience across desktop, mobile and sonos. However with the recent change to 'my music', the gap is growing between what spotify offers vs sonos' integration. I spend the most time in my car using the mobile app so this is more important than anything for me. Google comes close of all the rest but the mobile app is pretty poor on IOS. If spotify and sonos worked together to get sonos working with spotify connect I would quit bashing them over the terrible new UI (5.0) as I'd never have to use it again other than the occasional setting.
I've found that the mobile apps for all of the services can't touch Spotify in terms of streaming reliability and quality (per MB). This is a deal breaker as I use Spotify in the car all the time.

On another note, I actually really like the new Spotify UI.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I've found that the mobile apps for all of the services can't touch Spotify in terms of streaming reliability and quality (per MB). This is a deal breaker as I use Spotify in the car all the time.

On another note, I actually really like the new Spotify UI.

agreed - the spotify mobile app is the most 'robust' for recovering from poor data coverage, good buffering and resuming from where it left off when it hasnt been used for a few hours. The others (Rdio, Google, Deezer, Napster) all fall short one way or another. Im also used to the colour scheme now but its not so easy to read in bright conditions.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I like Spotify, but recently started using Google instead -- at first because the Radio functionality in Google works on SONOS and Spotify's doesn't.

But now that I get deeper into it, I'm finding near parity for my purposes. Pretty impressive, really.

And later this year when Amazon's streaming service hits SONOS, that may really seal the deal, since I'm already paying that one, anyway, and my tastes can lag the market by six months, no problem....and I'll have Beats in my back pocket, just in case.

....but anyway, my point is, I wouldn't have tried something other than Spotify EXCEPT that Spotify's API is so limited that the experience was lacking on the SONOS. Spotify drove me away.

And I discovered excellent replacements. Spotify is hurting themself.