sonos 16.1 released

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Who’s gonna go first? 😬 Let me know how it goes. 

Release notes

• Roam will now automatically switch to the best available access point when connected to a WiFi network with multiple access points.

• Bug fixes and performance enhancements.

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/release-notes-for-sonos-s2

17 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Already have no changes I can tell 

keep hoping that the clarity update goes away and 14.8 signature returns but ….

nothing broken I can tell roams are connected to two different nodes on my mesh even though they are in the same bathroom 😝

app still crashes on my iPhone regularly even after resetting it and reinstalling it 

think you are safe👍

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Just completed both the app and hardware updates. 

Same install “issue" as always: update process times out at the “finishing up” stage and prompts for reinstall, but if you ignore that message the update is actually completed.

My set-up is simple, less than 10 speakers and everything on S2. IPhone.

Come on Sonos, fix this app update process or continue to look like amateurs!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Worked like a charm. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Same experience as GC3 above. Arc, sub mini, 2 x Era 100’s, plus some legacy speakers. iPhone control.
Sorted (for now?) by going back to basics - router off, speakers powered down, router back on, then powering the speakers back up. It’s all become a bit of a pain after upgrading. Legacy speakers were rock solid. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Same install “issue" as always: update process times out at the “finishing up” stage and prompts for reinstall, but if you ignore that message the update is actually completed.

Yes. This.^

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Same as last time, it starts updating and goes to finish which never happens. I just close the App and start it again and then everything updated.. Starting to doubt whether to upgrade my system or find a new system.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Same as last time, it starts updating and goes to finish which never happens. I just close the App and start it again and then everything updated.. Starting to doubt whether to upgrade my system or find a new system.

Sounds like it works though 🤣

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Sounds like it works though 🤣

We shall see! Was fine last night then this morning couldn’t get the Sonos app to open. Recycling both router and phone got it back up. 
So - yes ‘sounds like it works’ but a frustrating bug ridden pain to get there. Yes??? 

That sounds more like a local network issue than a bug in the update. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Possibly? Suspect conflicts between legacy items and more recent iterations. Play ones, first edition sub, and play bar were all rock solid in the past using the same network. Upgrading to era 100s, arc, sub mini has caused me issues which is the cause of the frustration. A bit churlish to complain really when you consider that Sonos still tries to support the older technology which is admirable. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Same experience as GC3 above. Arc, sub mini, 2 x Era 100’s, plus some legacy speakers. iPhone control.
Sorted (for now?) by going back to basics - router off, speakers powered down, router back on, then powering the speakers back up. It’s all become a bit of a pain after upgrading. Legacy speakers were rock solid. 

I had the same issues until I followed the advice here and set static/reserved IP addresses for my Sonos using my router’s DHCP settings page. Powered all down and back up and never had the post update/power-flop system confusion issue again.

Possibly? Suspect conflicts between legacy items and more recent iterations. Play ones, first edition sub, and play bar were all rock solid in the past using the same network. Upgrading to era 100s, arc, sub mini has caused me issues which is the cause of the frustration. A bit churlish to complain really when you consider that Sonos still tries to support the older technology which is admirable. 

Conflicts wouldn’t likely be software based, but network based. As @Stanley_4 suggests, reserved IP addresses can go a long way in obviating that situation. 

However, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks Bruce and Stanley. Will give them a shout  next time it occurs. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I often see same when updating interactively with iOS App, normally the App reports Sub has failed. I just force close the App, restart the App, and all has been updated OK. Sonos support confirmed nothing went wrong with the update, just the reporting back to the iOS App fails for some reason.

Another solution was suggested by Ratty, switching to autoupdates overnight, so the update process is not interactive in the App, then revert back to manual next day.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks Craigski. An overnight auto update has been successful in the past (I have that option ticked in the app) so will maybe leave it to its own devices in the future!

Just completed both the app and hardware updates. 

My set-up is simple, less than 10 speakers and everything on S2. IPhone.

Come on Sonos, fix this app update process or continue to look like amateurs!

I used to have this type of issue. On my network and at clients homes. Very frustrating, to say the least.

Some devices refused to update, back in the day. Had to take them to my network to get them to update. 

My personal network is a very reliable mesh system, updates literally take two minutes maximum. Have not seen the failed update message in two plus years. 

I suspect less than ideal WiFi conditions that is causing the failing update messages. 

• 9 Sonos devices, IOS 17. Quality mesh system and asynchronous fiber optic Internet connection. No problems. 
Userlevel 5
Badge +14

From a Sonos employee: