Skip to main content

Player / Controller Versions - Why Update?

Player / Controller Versions - Why Update?

We have seen a few posts with people talking about firmware versions and being at different places within the last few updates. While this isn’t new to the recent Sonos app update, there are more and more conversations about it and I thought I’d try to help give some context to what we’re seeing.

One thing that may not be widely known is that by turning off Auto-Updates in the app store, it only addresses the updating of your controller app and not necessarily the firmware of the players. This means that while you may be blocking your controller from updating, the speakers may still update their firmware if someone else updates the system from their controller. Different people end up in different parts of the updating pipeline and while all the problems look different, they can usually be traced to this mismatch. You can check your speaker firmware by going to: Settings (Gear in top-right) > Manage > About My System

Here are a few compatibility scenarios that you may find yourself in: 

Old Player Firmware (78.1-52020)  + Old Sonos S2 App

• In-app notification that an update is available.

• Alarm Settings are available.

• Any attempt to add a player to the system will require an app update, which will be followed by a player update before you can add a player.

Old Player Firmware (78.1-52020) + New Sonos App (Pre-Alarms Fix)

• No indication about an app update being available.

• Alarm Settings remain disabled.

• Any attempt to add a player to the system will require an app update, which will be followed by a player update before you can add a player.

Old Player Firmware (78.1-52020) + New Sonos App (Alarms Fix)

• No indication in the app about a system update being available unless you seek it out in Settings > Manage > System Updates > Check for Updates

• Any attempt to add a player to the system will require a player update 

New Player Firmware (79.0-52294) + Old Sonos S2 App

• In-app notification that an update is available.

• Cross-version compatibility mode will block out access to all of Settings and Setup.

• Will be encouraged within the app to go to the app store to update their app.

New Player Firmware (79.0-52294) + New Sonos App (Pre-Alarms Fix)

• No indication in the app about an update being available.

New Player Firmware (79.0-52294) + New Sonos App (Alarms Fix) 

• Everything is up to date.

• Improved playback settings including “Play next,” “add to end of queue,” and on iOS, the mute button

• Improved product setup, Bluetooth discovery and WiFi settings

• Added sleep timer settings

• Improved Trueplay setup on iOS

• Introduced distance settings for home theater surrounds

• Improved navigation for users who are blind or visually-impaired 

• Added VoiceOver support for toast messages on iOS

Hope this provides a little bit of context into what you might be experiencing and why you might be seeing it. Yes, the official guidance is to keep your devices updated - but more importantly we wanted to explicitly show what it looks like depending on the current state of your system. Hope you find this useful!

Note: This does not mean that updating alone will solve every system problem. We are very much aware of some issues around product set-up - however the very first thing before getting support would be to ensure your app and devices are completely updated.

62 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

The device is no longer useable.
It stops playing no matter the source.

Version is 16.2, S2 build 79153290

How can I recover from this "upgrade" ?
This is looking like a class action situation.

I had same issue and could not get it working using the Sonos desktop or Mobile apps..see post above for my solution...but basically... i installed the LMS server ( https://lyrion.org/getting-started/ ) and added the UPNP/DLNA plugin (from the plugins tab ) on my mac, and loaded squeezer on my android devices, and all speakers play fine using my local storage

Setup was pretty easy both on t

My Mac and phone 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Norbert 56 Sonos are consumer products, but they do have a professional service now. Where you looking to putt these consumer products into a professional environment? On such a large scale?

The update doesn’t work, given how poor the app now is I would like to downgrade (or upgrade in terms of user experience) back to the S1 controller. However you have now blocked this as well with the app update.

when will this be reinstated, currently my system of ones and amps are effectively an expensive bunch of bricks sitting in my house 

Good news:  I was able to recover some of the functionality of my Move 2 by reseting it and then adding it back:
https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reset-your-sonos-product

I did lose all the configuration I had but at least I can now use the device.
It now can play music without losing connection.

I think the upgrade did something to the device. I've checked the device's API before and after I've reset it and saw that it changed the "HouseholdControlID". Maybe it is unrelated or maybe that was causing the connection to be lost.

Userlevel 3

What can anyone say that hasn’t already be said. Sonos software latest updates are a disaster. Embarrassing. Company ad leadership are tone deaf. Make the S2 app available and stop forcing upgrades on customer. Given debacle, I suspect and hope that sales of hardware will plummet. Worst customer experience I have had in 35 years of technology.

I am still using the S2 app 16.1 on the iPhone,and 16.1.1 on the speakers, no problems.

Now I ordered a move 2 and here comes the trouble.

The move 2 wants an update for the app, but I denied.

At this  time I shut down all the speakers and started the new, “well known” app on an iPad. 

However, the move 2 is now visible in my system with the state “not registered”.

Looking at the version, the move 2 is running on 15.6 (Build 74041049manufacturing)

Hardwareversion is: 1.40.1.7-2.1

How can I upgrade the speaker to 16.1.1 to use it with my iOS app?

I have read about a downgrade, but this requires an update to 80.x first…?!?!?!

Is there any chance for the move 2 running in my system 16.1 with the S2 app?

Windows Client or Mac is also available, if it could help.

Thanks in advance.

Userlevel 1

I don’t know about anyone else, I just want to listen to my music files on my Sonos speakers, and now I can’t. If I wanted to be an IT expert a fiddle around with firmware and versions, blocking updates and connecting to sub URLs I’d go and get trained and then get paid for it professionally.
Just fix the app or roll back the update, music at home should just be a pleasure not a career!

I don’t know about anyone else, I just want to listen to my music files on my Sonos speakers, and now I can’t. If I wanted to be an IT expert a fiddle around with firmware and versions, blocking updates and connecting to sub URLs I’d go and get trained and then get paid for it professionally.
Just fix the app or roll back the update, music at home should just be a pleasure not a career!

Unfortunately they aren’t going to roll back the app. Best way forward is to keep updating when they release (OK maybe wait a day or two to make sure there aren’t any major issues) and hope it keeps getting better IMO.

Userlevel 3

I agree, way too complicated. What happened to open and pick the speaker and your music and play, end of story.

Thanks for the update. Is there any plans to restore functionality for volume in the new iOS app?

• Showing a volume number value
  • letting the phones volume buttons control the Sonos volume when in the app? Using the touchscreen to change volume seems temperamental and without being able to see the number, it’s hard to keep it to the same expected or desired values

the new app was announced as being better and faster but it seems like it takes longer for it to make connections with my system and for any controls to work properly. This feels like a real setback for Sonos and I’m not sure I want to keep investing in this ecosystem. Is there a roadmap we can follow for changes and timeframe for development?

Thanks for the update. Is there any plans to restore functionality for volume in the new iOS app?

• Showing a volume number value
  • letting the phones volume buttons control the Sonos volume when in the app? Using the touchscreen to change volume seems temperamental and without being able to see the number, it’s hard to keep it to the same expected or desired values

the new app was announced as being better and faster but it seems like it takes longer for it to make connections with my system and for any controls to work properly. This feels like a real setback for Sonos and I’m not sure I want to keep investing in this ecosystem. Is there a roadmap we can follow for changes and timeframe for development?

Numbers are coming by the end of June:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Using the volume buttons or lock screen controls is all on Apple.  Apple has a rule that you can only use those to control media apps playing on the device itself, not on 3rd party hardware.  Sonos had been using a hack to fool iOS into thinking the Sonos app was a media player by playing a silent file in the background, but Apple clamped down on the hack and forced Sonos to cease using it or get kicked off the App store. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

THE NEW APP UPDATE HAS JUST BEEN RELEASED!!

No firmware update.

Numerical values for volume and group volume sliders

Volume icon to reflect volume level

Support for SonosNet channel selection

Added stereo/mono configuration for Amp/Port output.

I can’t imagine many will be that delighted, taking the update at face value...