Question

Amazon Echo

Userlevel 1
When will Sonos release the Amazon Echo app they have been talking about since August 2016???

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Ok castalla, we get it. You like Squeezebox. May I remind you of this forum's TOS? Spam is not permitted, and I dare say if Squeezebox was actually a viable commercial product, instead of a failed one kept alive by geeks in their basement, your posts shilling for them would be deleted by now. Let's move this thread back on topic, not to mention back within the TOS of this forum, shall we?

I'm not shilling for squeezebox ... all I'm doing is relaying my experience with voice control of audio devices. I'm just trying to introduce some actual experience in the face of so much speculation. I have Sonos devices also, but yes, they are used mainly as part of my LMS system.

Your charge of spamming, etc. is just ridiculous.

I'm not shilling for squeezebox ... all I'm doing is relaying my experience with voice control of audio devices. I'm just trying to introduce some actual experience in the face of so much speculation. I have Sonos devices also, but yes, they are used mainly as part of my LMS system.

You repeatedly post messages touting the features of a competing "product". Your post in another thread that "Well, meanwhile the Alexa-Squeezebox integration continues apace. ...." has nothing to do with relaying experience, it's touting Squeezebox's implementation over Sonos' "late" (in your opinion) one. That's spam, and you know it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14

You repeatedly post messages touting the features of a competing "product". Your post in another thread that "Well, meanwhile the Alexa-Squeezebox integration continues apace. ...." has nothing to do with relaying experience, it's touting Squeezebox's implementation over Sonos' "late" (in your opinion) one. That's spam, and you know it.

We could argue over style and semantics ... but why bother?

I've raised some experiences using the echo voice control system. There are only two skills (as far as I know) which can control audio systems (the SB alpha, and BandCamp for JRiver). I reported on the one I used & pointed out some of the issues I've encountered.

The fact that SB has features which Sonos does not, and vice versa, is simply that, a fact. Overall, I prefer the SB experience, you don't. So what?

And to further goad you (just joking!), I probably have to admit that overall we use the Echo system natively more than either SB or Sonos. I expect you'll now accuse me of shilling for Amazon next.
Actually, as stated before, I find your affection for failed technology quite quaint, not goading at all. Just like I feel about people who still play Atari era games and Laser Discs. It's cute; in a sad, nostalgic sort of way.

It's your continued off-topic shilling of that technology, which is against the TOS of this forum, that I find annoying.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Actually, as stated before, I find your affection for failed technology quite quaint, not goading at all. Just like I feel about people who still play Atari era games and Laser Discs. It's cute; in a sad, nostalgic sort of way.

It's your continued off-topic shilling of that technology, which is against the TOS of this forum, that I find annoying.

Just like I feel about people who still play garage rock and punk :D:$:D

Just like I feel about people who still play garage rock and punk :D:$:D

Sigh. :8
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
[yawn] 😉
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Interesting post on Alexa/Sonos here: http://www.aftvnews.com/sonos-integration-with-amazons-alexa-inches-closer-to-release/
I am a little skeptical as my updated version of the app shows different heading at the top - as well as identification of app and devices.
However, it's a pretty good indication that they're getting much closer to a release of some kind. Well within the 2017 time frame promised, too. Although perhaps I shouldn't be so optimistic, it could be a beta test situation, who knows? But an indicator of progress, to be sure.
What you should know about our new privacy statement
Next week, we’ll be introducing some important updates to our privacy statement. Sonos owners and anyone who visits our website will be asked to acknowledge this new policy when we update our software and systems in the coming days. The new privacy statement covers what information we collect, how we use it, and the choices you can make about both.
We use the data you share with us to improve your listening experience. For example, the information we collect allows us to understand your system’s performance so we can make improvements to Sonos software and keep it secure. The data also makes tools like Trueplay tuning possible, so your speakers sound great in every room. And as we introduce new ways for you to control Sonos, like with your voice and via music service apps and smart home integrations, the data you provide makes these experiences seamless.