Question

Stream flac format from cloud

• 17 February 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi, I presently store all my ripped CD’s in flac format on a local drive NAS. However, device is old, and I therefore consider alternative solutions. I have a very fast fiber internet connection. Is it feasible at all to stream music in flac format from the cloud? Which cloud services offer online storage of flac files, while being compatible with Sonos?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Supported audio formats are lists on our FAQ page right here for more information when streaming from your local music library or Internet radio stations. Let me if you have any other questions or concerns.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Most music services that used to support cloud playback of your own files have stopped supporting that feature.  I think Google Music is the last such service, no idea if they support FLAC format though.

Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer and Amazon Music all offer lossless streaming now, at very good prices. If you really want the hassle of ripping, loading and managing your own files to a cloud service, BubbleUPnP app (Android) and MConnect app (iOS) will let you stream them to Sonos via UPnP, but they will stream through your phone, hardly an ideal setup. 

If there’s less than 1TB of library files I’d just shove a flash stick in the back of the router and play from there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

No clue about compatibility between clouds and Sonos but it should be easy to set up a local gateway on a computer that accesses the cloud music and presents it to Sonos as SMB v1 for music library use.