SonosRadio?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

So where is this Sonos Radio that I have been reading about this morning from all the major outlets? Let me have it!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

So where is this Sonos Radio that I have been reading about this morning from all the major outlets? Let me have it!!

Checked out a few articles, and I don’t see a release date.  I do see that it will be at 128 kbps, which I interpret to mean it will be available on S1 and S2 systems...and thus surely in a release before June.

Waiting for the software update which according to WhatHiFi will bring it

Waiting for the software update which according to WhatHiFi will bring it

Ah, so the update should be today/tomorrow.  Cool.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Okay, I’ve received the update. 

I was hoping that it would fix something, but it doesn’t. I have a pair of Play:1’s in my kitchen, linked as the preferred speakers to an Amazon Dot.

Now, since the BBC fell out with TuneIn it’s been a pain getting their stations to play. Simply asking Alexa to play BBC Radio 6 plays it on the Dot, but I have set the triggers in IFTTT as the workaround. Obviously sometime I forget to say ‘trigger’ and I hear tinny crap, and other time’s I instinctively say ‘trigger 6 Music’ to my One’s in my living room and it comes on in the kitchen. I know, not a giant problem in the great scheme of things. 

As all the BBC channels are included in Sonos Radio I was hoping I would be able to ditch the ‘trigger’ command but it’s the same problem. BBC Sounds launches on the Dot, disabling the skill doesn’t work either. Never mind. 

*Updating the channel favourites in the Sonos app from TuneIn to Sonos Radio, has resulted in a quite significantly longer lag between the trigger and the station playing though. 

Okay, I’ve received the update. 

I was hoping that it would fix something, but it doesn’t. I have a pair of Play:1’s in my kitchen, linked as the preferred speakers to an Amazon Dot.

Now, since the BBC fell out with TuneIn it’s been a pain getting their stations to play. Simply asking Alexa to play BBC Radio 6 plays it on the Dot, but I have set the triggers in IFTTT as the workaround. Obviously sometime I forget to say ‘trigger’ and I hear tinny crap, and other time’s I instinctively say ‘trigger 6 Music’ to my One’s in my living room and it comes on in the kitchen. I know, not a giant problem in the great scheme of things. 

As all the BBC channels are included in Sonos Radio I was hoping I would be able to ditch the ‘trigger’ command but it’s the same problem. BBC Sounds launches on the Dot, disabling the skill doesn’t work either. Never mind. 

*Updating the channel favourites in the Sonos app from TuneIn to Sonos Radio, has resulted in a quite significantly longer lag between the trigger and the station playing though. 

Doesn’t the BBC Skill now work in the Alexa App? Instead of just setting your Play:1’s as the Alexa groups ‘preferred’ speaker, try setting them as the echo dot’s ‘default’ speaker and your BBC radio stations should work via Alexa on Sonos.

Doesn’t the BBC Skill now work in the Alexa App? Instead of just setting your Play:1’s as the Alexa groups ‘preferred’ speaker, try setting them as the echo dot’s ‘default’ speaker and your BBC radio stations should work via Alexa on Sonos.

Ken, I don’t think a Play:1 can be set as an echo dot’s default speaker.  It has to be another Alexa voice enabled speaker.  So the speaker needs to be a Sonos One, Beam, or Move (or other Amazon speaker).  Atleast that’s what the setup told me when I tried to set a Sonos amp.  I assume the same for play:1.

Ken, I don’t think a Play:1 can be set as an echo dot’s default speaker.  It has to be another Alexa voice enabled speaker.  So the speaker needs to be a Sonos One, Beam, or Move (or other Amazon speaker).  Atleast that’s what the setup told me when I tried to set a Sonos amp.  I assume the same for play:1.

Ah yes, that’s correct Danny and my mistake. I forgot that an echo device’s default speaker needed to be a Sonos product with built in voice services. Thank-you for correcting this point and sorry if my post may have misled or raised the hopes of guyincognito76 or any other folk here. (Note to self.. must try harder next time).👍

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Ah yes, that’s correct Danny and my mistake. I forgot that an echo device’s default speaker needed to be a Sonos product with built in voice services. Thank-you for correcting this point and sorry if my post may have misled or raised the hopes of guyincognito76 or any other folk here. (Note to self.. must try harder next time).👍

No problem, Ken: it was half an hour of lockdown killed squinting at my phone and shouting at Alexa, whilst holding a can of beer… or Tuesday as I think it’s now called. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Updated.  End result: no ‘rooms’ available via controller.   Jeez.

No problem, Ken: it was half an hour of lockdown killed squinting at my phone and shouting at Alexa, whilst holding a can of beer… or Tuesday as I think it’s now called. 

Ah sorry Guyincognito76, I guess I owe you half an hour. I have plenty of isolation time here and need to gives some away anyway😁 ... 4 weeks of lock-in and I still can’t get things right.

I’m just glad that Danny stepped in here quickly.

Oh well I won’t forget that ‘schoolboy error‘ in the future and I’m sorry for driving you to drink ha ha ha… that’s completely understandable and feel free to blame me!!!😂

Your devices have probably just lost their DHCP assigned IP addresses. You may find powering off your router (or DHCP server device) for a minute or so and then powering it back on and waiting for a few minutes will quickly sort it for you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Your devices have probably just lost their DHCP assigned IP addresses. You may find powering off your router (or DHCP server device) for a minute or so and then powering it back on and waiting for a few minutes will quickly sort it for you.

Nope.  

The Boost is appearing on the network - but Beam is missing.  Tried to Add but the stupid controller app can’t find it.

An utter mess

Nope.  

The Boost is appearing on the network - but Beam is missing.  Tried to Add but the stupid controller app can’t find it.

An utter mess

Strange🤔?. The recent update went okay here, but there again, I do have my Sonos IP addresses reserved, so it’s rare I lose them during restart, post update.

Have you tried switching your DHCP server ‘off’ and then ‘on’ again? Also, if it’s now been a while your device(s) might have fallen back to Auto-IP mode (169.254.xx.xx) and perhaps just in need of a quick reboot to get them back up and running on your network. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

hi Ken

Thanks for the advice.   Got things back on track by simply unplugging the Beam …. absolutely no idea what went wrong.  

It wasn’t until I’d installed the Sonos Radio that I then read it is ad-supported.  I don’t think it’ll last long on my system if that’s true!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

hi Ken

Thanks for the advice.   Got things back on track by simply unplugging the Beam …. absolutely no idea what went wrong.  

It wasn’t until I’d installed the Sonos Radio that I then read it is ad-supported.  I don’t think it’ll last long on my system if that’s true!

I read this, but I’ve yet to encounter an ad. It’s very strange, you just get a ‘you’re listening to Sonos [whatever]’ every few songs but maybe it’s because it’s a new service and ads will start appearing as advertisers come on board. The flagship ‘Sound System’ station does say it’s ad free though. 

But why do we need the grating “you’re listening to Sonos” “make your ears bleed” nonsense? Unless that goes, it’s going. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

But why do we need the grating “you’re listening to Sonos” “make your ears bleed” nonsense? Unless that goes, it’s going. 

It doesn’t bother me too much, maybe because I don’t listen to it that often… just when Mary Anne Hobbs is on 6 Music 😂