Answered

Sonos keeps losing connection with Pandora

• 16 April 2020
  • 6 replies

I have been connected for days at a time, even able to start the music, but if I want to change the station on Pandora, Sonos claims that it’s lost the connection. I bought a Boost, thinking it might help, but that’s done absolutely nothing to help. I have two Sonos One speakers which I did pair for stereo, then split them again when we want to use them in separate rooms, but it’s been split for days. I’ll reset the network connection on my iPhone and it’ll come back allowing me to change the station, but going in just minutes later on a perfectly functioning network, Sonos again claims that its lost the connection to Pandora. 
This has become frustrating beyond belief.

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 25 April 2020, 17:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I should add that the music continues to play. I can also start the music with the “play” button on the Sonos speaker and music plays from the last-selected Pandora station. The connection CANNOT have been lost if I’m still playing music FROM Pandora on the Sonos speaker. This issue makes no sense. 

Additionally, I tried changing the Data & Privacy / Additional Usage Data, and get the same message.

The next time it happens, submit a diagnostic and post the reference number here.

@tinytall Thank you for bringing your concerns to us here and welcome to the Sonos Community. I understand that you are having issues with playing your Pandora service with Sonos. Were you having issues with any of your other music services playing to Sonos? I ask as there was a Pandora outage around the time you were posting here. It has since been resolved per our status link. We can see from your diagnostic report that you have wifi interference in your environment. I would ask that you adjust what you can for reducing interference in your environment. Also, how far apart are your Sonos products from each other, when not stereo paired, with respect to where you have your Boost Ethernet wired?

I understand that you mentioned resetting your network, but we can see that your Sonos products have not been re-booted as part of those steps you tried. Please go through these steps:

1. Power off/on your modem/router(s)/extenders/access point(s) for 30 seconds with no lights.
  2. As they power back on then power off/on your Sonos products for 15 seconds with no llights.
  3. As they are powering back on then re-boot the device(s) running the Sonos app.

When everything is re-booted it will give a refreshed Sonos product a refreshed connection to the network in Sonosnet. I would then ask that you try your other music services along with Pandora for 30+ minutes and let us know the results of the above testing along with an updated diagnostic report number here.

Rebooting everything seems to have worked. 

The two Sonos players are in opposite directions from the boost unit about 20’ from the boost, so about 40’ from one another. 

There were a few music services not connecting, but Sonos was the only common denominator and weirder was that I could click the play button on the units themselves and they would play fine, but I couldn’t change the “station” on Pandora. The APP itself was where the failure seemed to be occurring.

Also of note, I have no control over how many wifi is around me as I’m in a community of homes, all of which broadcast their wifi. I got the boost in expectation that would solve the problems. It didn’t do anything, apparently, so a waste of $ there. If I switched between the 2G and 5G wifi broadcast on my router, the app would again connect to Pandora just fine. This seems a problem with the software, not the wifi. Again NOTHING other than the Pandora App would lose functionality. 

Thanks for the “solution” but I'm thinking the app needs some sort of resolution to prevent this same issue. 

@tinytall Thank you for the follow up and the feedback. Glad to hear that refreshing your network and Sonos products has you back working again. Please understand that this was not an app issue but how your network was allowing Sonos to communicate on your wifi network. The steps you completed refreshed how your network was allowing us to perform on that network. A follow up diagnostic report would have let us seen those changes. Also, please understand when we talk about reducing your wifi interference it is for what is in your home environment and your wifi network.

As an example, you could adjust where you have your Sonos products placed. Your previous diagnostic report showed us interference around your Boost and your Play:1 named Trailer. When you reference the link provided about reducing wifi interference you can make adjustments and help eliminate that interference. Please take a look at what is near your Sonos products or what they are sitting on. What can be adjusted that can help reduce the interference that may be slowing or blocking the signals they are sending and receiving to each other in your environment. Also, understand that your Sonos products communicate differently then other devices you may being using on your wifi network like a phone, a computer or a security system, meaning other devices may seem to be working fine when we are running into issues on your network.