Answered

Sonos access to OneDrive Music Folder

• 14 December 2019
  • 38 replies

Userlevel 1

I revised things recently when my old computer died, which we used as a local server, including a Music folder that we accessed via SONOS. When we got a new computer, we canned the server idea and placed all our files, including our music folder, onto Microsoft OneDrive. Is it possible to stream from OneDrive? What about some other online repository? Or must it be local?

icon

Best answer by MiDi 12 May 2020, 00:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Recently ran into this myself and put together a small app to connect Sonos to OneDrive directly.

Take a look at https://michaeldick.me/sonos-onedrive/

Cheers

This was, in a word, money.  Thanks for taking the time to code this...

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

It seems you have to grant access from the OneDrive for Sonos App to your OneDrive, I assume that allows read access for all files on your OneDrive, not just music files?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You mean it isn’t ‘just a few lines of code’?

;)

The code is the easy bit :-)

You mean it isn’t ‘just a few lines of code’?

;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Got it. I’ll blame Microsoft then. :) Thank you. It’s ridiculous that the powers that be make it difficult to play your own music that you’ve already paid for. Playing a song on Sonos from your One Drive should be a simple and normal thing they’d want to accommodate considering I’m paying them a monthly free and I’m assuming they’re prefer I keep doing that. 

You would think it is simple, but it is very much the opposite. Streaming music, from OneDrive or anywhere else, is a legal nightmare. Technically it i easy enough, and you have found someone who has done that for you. However it is technically against the OneDrive Terms of Service and likely contradicts copyright law in your country.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Got it. I’ll blame Microsoft then. :) Thank you. It’s ridiculous that the powers that be make it difficult to play your own music that you’ve already paid for. Playing a song on Sonos from your One Drive should be a simple and normal thing they’d want to accommodate considering I’m paying them a monthly free and I’m assuming they’re prefer I keep doing that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Got Michael Dick’s solution working. One Drive is huge and it’s ridiculous Sonos does not support it natively. Silly hoops and hurdles nonetheless super pleased Michael made a solution. I’m going to send him a few bucks. 

Its up to Microsoft to do that, not Sonos, and they turned this off when they killed Groove, their music service. No music service, no legal rights to stream.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Got Michael Dick’s solution working. One Drive is huge and it’s ridiculous Sonos does not support it natively. Silly hoops and hurdles nonetheless super pleased Michael made a solution. I’m going to send him a few bucks. 

Midi s answer did not wrk for me. It took ages to type it all in correctly then I pressed enter and th enter et came back with the word ERROR. Really peeved as I can’t play my music library ,only amazons 

Userlevel 2

This is awesome massive Kudos to Michael Dick - OneDrive for Sonos (michaeldick.me)

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Michael Dick’s solution worked for me, legend, and he’s super responsive.

Badge

A really smart guy named Michael Dick developed a tool that let’s you connect OneDrive to Sonos.  I can’t seem to find it right now.

It worked bit when I tried it I lost the connection when my computer restarted.  I’ll have to try again.

See https://michaeldick.me/

Badge

Google did much the same thing. I am just hoping that Sonos never removes the Local music service as I’m old school and still buy CDs as i like to own the music I’ve bought. 

Me too. I like to own the music, plus I think half of my CD’s have music that you cannot possibly find anywhere else. I mean: I bought a CD in Turkey with Turkish music from the 70’s as a souvenir of a great vacation. Try and find that somewhere!!

So it is either my Music Library on NAS (Synology working well, so far, much better than Buffalo) or -the ideal scenario- my music folder on OneDrive, so that I do not have to worry about backups, and the inevitable mechanical failures of the Synology drive etc. etc.

What is Sonos waiting for?

Badge

@MiDi’s solution works but I lose it.  Not sure if its when my computer sleeps.

Badge

MiDi’s app works very well.  I can access all my music but it can be cumbersome to wade into all the folders to get to a song one at a time.  Haven’t found how to access a playlist.

Has anyone been able to link directly to OneDrive to access their iTunes library to use as Sonos’ “Music Library”?  It updates if I leave my PC on all the time as the path to OneDrive goes through the PC. But I want to be able to turn the PC off and have Sonos get the update for the Music Library directly from OneDrive.  Accessing a “shared music folder” under system settings appears to require a path that includes the “Computer” the library is shared from. 

Now that MiDi’s app gets us access to OneDrive, is there a “Path” that will link directly to OneDrive in the folder where my iTunes library resides? 

Thanks much for any help on this.  JJ

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Microsoft stopped the ability to stream music from your one drive when they dropped Groove and move moved to Spotify as a partner. It was a real shame as it seemed a great solution. I presume it was part of the deal with Spotify for them to remove the ability to stream users own music.

The Spotify deal was to sweeten the deal, it did not drive the decision to cut Groove. The deletion of Groove was indeed a bummer, but it just wasn’t financially viable, especially given the differing laws regarding streaming in different countries. Technically it was solid, produced by a smart team in Paris.

Badge

Thank you.  That was helpful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Microsoft stopped the ability to stream music from your one drive when they dropped Groove and move moved to Spotify as a partner. It was a real shame as it seemed a great solution. I presume it was part of the deal with Spotify for them to remove the ability to stream users own music. 

Google did much the same thing. I am just hoping that Sonos never removes the Local music service as I’m old school and still buy CDs as i like to own the music I’ve bought. 

Badge

I used Michael’s fix.  Works great!

Michael - I sent you and email thanking you but also want to do it publically - Great job - Thank You.

Also, I’d like to better understand - why is the blame on MicroSoft?  Data is going to the cloud, I would think Sonos would support this.  Michael’ developed a way to make it happen - why couldn’t / wouldn’t Sonos?

Michael - Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Yes but I moved all my music to one drive and don’t keep it local.  I plan to try the unofficial onedrive solution.  Unfortunate we have to revert to that.  But I do hear that it works.

Then blame Microsoft, they are the controlling factor in this. 

Badge

Yes but I moved all my music to one drive and don’t keep it local.  I plan to try the unofficial onedrive solution.  Unfortunate we have to revert to that.  But I do hear that it works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sonos and their partners have made it difficult, if not virtually impossible, for those of us with large music collections to play via Sonos.

If you were really a user before streaming services than you are already using a PC or Mac for your local collection, and that still works as well as it ever has.

There is an unofficial OneDrive solution, have you tried that?

Badge

Sonos and their partners have made it difficult, if not virtually impossible, for those of us with large music collections to play via Sonos.  As a note, many of us were big Sonos users and supporters before all the streaming services were available.  I have Sonos in two homes and two office and I would like to share my music library, which I have uploaded to One Drive, between them.

I tried Google Play but the sorting of music sucks.    I have so much music that YouTube music, which is the replacement for Google Play, only shows artists whose names start with A and B.

I have been a Sonos user for 15+ years.  If I didn’t have such a large investment in Sonos speakers and amps I would replace my 4 systems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This is awesome! Nice job @MiDi

@MiDi thanks for this. Massively improved my user experience with sonos. No more having to turn the pc on. Had almost paid for a nas but don't need it now so saved a packet as well. Most grateful.