SMB1 still required in 2021 for music shares?

• 6 February 2021
  • 35 replies

Userlevel 2

As reported in many other topics apparently it's still necessary to use SMB1 for playing music from a Synology Diskstation system? It's now 2021 and I just had to change the settings on my diskstation to allow the unsecure SMB1 in order to be able to add a shared folder to my Sonos music library.

Sonos seems to be closing all topics on this forum about this subject for further comments, but is not addressing the problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

The best solution is to use Plex, instead of a fileshare.

this have the bonus of providing access from a phone or desktop pc to the music library everywhere.

Thank you for this! Genius and I just killed SMB1 on my Synology. Works great and now secure. Love me some Plex. 

Badge

Yes, this is ridiculous. But don’t just complain here, complain directly to Sonos.

Sadly, they no longer accept email at support@sonos.com

You can open a real time chat, which is mildly annoying. The person claimed “This case will be added on the list of customers that have the same concern.” I have no clue if that’s a lie or not, but it can’t hurt to try.

So with the new Update 13.4 its Support now SMB2 and SMB3. 

“If you have problems with album covers: I have them too. Obviously they are not quite finished with SMB2 and SMB3, because otherwise you would have announced the possibility in a big way. The Sonos 13.4 changelog only officially included other improvements”

Source: https://stadt-bremerhaven.de/sonos-unterstuetzt-endlich-smb2-und-smb3/

for those who want to try it, I have SMBv2 working fine with my Synology NAS - see my post here

I’ve found a workaround for using S1 with a Synology NAS without activating SMB1.

1. Create a free Plex account. A free Plex account won’t work on mobile stand alone, but that’s not an issue for our use case.
  2. Install Plex via Package manager on your Synology. From there, point Plex towards your music share folder.
  3. Add a music service in your S1 Sonos setup and look for Plex
  4. All set! Play all your lossless files without compromising security. Sonos’ in app search function will also look within Plex which is great.

You might need to add a wired connection to your Connect as I encountered bandwidth issues. But with an ethernet cable plugged in, this setup ran smoothly.

Badge

One problem with Plex as a workaround is that even if your NAS and your Sonos are on the same LAN, and you do *not* desire to be able to access your music externally, Plex doesn’t work if you don’t allow outside connections from the public Internet. Which IMHO is a stupid design decision that unnecessarily compromises security.

Yes, that is stupid.

But at least we have a choice between a known exploitable SMB1 setup, and Plex. 

Having said that. Sonos should have fixed this.

Yes, that is stupid.

But at least we have a choice between a known exploitable SMB1 setup, and Plex. 

Having said that. Sonos should have fixed this.

Which must surely be just as exploitable if you leave the TCP Port open (usually port 32400 by default) and not have the Plex service running on that port because you have shut down the Plex server, or have enabled UPNP on your router in order to use a dynamically assigned TCP port … I think I prefer to take my chances with SMBv1 given the choice.

It’s mentioned in various threads here that Sonos were not able to upgrade the SMB protocol on the ‘old’ Linux kernel, but they were able to introduce it on the newer S2 setup - that has now been done.

Ideally, it’s a far better option to upgrade/switch to the new S2 Sonos system as soon as practicable.

Badge

Ideally, it’s a far better option to upgrade/switch to the new S2 Sonos system as soon as practicable.

I would do that, but I have a Sonos Connect that can’t upgrade to S2. Yes, I am aware that I could split my system in two, and upgrade the rest, but that would pretty much be removing the whole point of Sonos and rendering the Connect fairly useless. If they flipped the 30/70 discount on a trade-in (that is, if I could pay 30% of the new price, rather than just getting a 30% discount), I might consider it, even though the unnecessary e-waste would still be regrettable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Why not work around the SMBv1 issue by using a NAS to Sonos / SMBv1 gateway?

I’d go with a Pi Zero 2 these days, about $15 if you go for a sale.

SMB v1 Gateway