Question

S2 app or Amazon HD app?

• 20 September 2020
  • 8 replies

I’ve scoured the forum and still cannot find a clear answer to this. Most of the very interesting commentary is from pre-S2 threads about a year ago. 

I currently use Sonos Amp connected to Episode 8” outdoor ceiling mounted speakers.  Sonos Amp is connected to the router via Cat6. 

So which is giving me better sound quality?  Casting via Airplay from the Amazon Music HD app or running directly through the S2 app?

I read the consensus from a year ago that casting from the Amazon HD app was not giving even CD quality and that you needed to use the Sonos App. But has S2 and firmware upgrades or upgrades to the integration between Sonos and Amazon Music HD changed anything?  I cannot find any current info as to which app is better to run Amazon from. 

To my ears, casting via Airplay using the Amazon HD app sounds better. I really wish the S2 app would give an indication as to what quality it was streaming at. 

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Sonos S2 will play Amazon ‘HD’ at up to CD quality (which is all humans can hear, but that’s another discussion). If the tracks are only available at a lower quality then Sonos will play that.

Unfortunately the Sonos controller doesn’t display the stream format for most services. In fact the only one I’m aware of where it does is Deezer.

I can’t speak for casting direct from the Amazon app since I’ve not tested it in recent times. When the Amazon service was first introduced on Sonos, direct control via the native app was only at SD. As for Airplay, I’m afraid I’m not an iPerson. 

Sonos S2 will play Amazon ‘HD’ at up to CD quality (which is all humans can hear, but that’s another discussion). If the tracks are only available at a lower quality then Sonos will play that.

Unfortunately the Sonos controller doesn’t display the stream format for most services. In fact the only one I’m aware of where it does is Deezer.

I can’t speak for casting direct from the Amazon app since I’ve not tested it in recent times. When the Amazon service was first introduced on Sonos, direct control via the native app was only at SD. As for Airplay, I’m afraid I’m not an iPerson. 

And that’s also the crux of the question too. Technically, it’s Airplay2 and from the Amazon Music HD app it shows as being streamed at “Ultra HD”.   Clicking on that and it shows this playing the 40th Anniversary remaster of 2112 by Rush.  The question is whether or not this is accurate.  Is this what the Amp is actually streaming??

Without sight of a Sonos diag it’s hard to say, but Sonos has only claimed to support 24-bit in S2 from local library FLAC/ALAC files.

Without sight of a Sonos diag it’s hard to say, but Sonos has only claimed to support 24-bit in S2 from local library FLAC/ALAC files.

That’s why I’d really like something implemented into the S2 app that gives us that info, but I’d settle with just an official answer from Sonos as to which app is preferable. 

I don’t know if it’s just a placebo effect or not, but it sounds better to me (marginally….a bit more open dynamically) running from the Amazon app.

If it sounds better to you, ignore anything else, and go with your ears. They need to be satisfied more than your brain will with numbers.

If it sounds better to you, ignore anything else, and go with your ears. They need to be satisfied more than your brain will with numbers.

Stop making sense!

Unfortunately, my brain needs the numbers to back up my completely subjective impressions. 😂

Sonos, just give us a streaming metric in the app or some official word on this. Please. 

So, just bringing this topic back up again with a little more detail:

Streaming Amazon HD through the Amazon app and Airplay2 supports 24/48, but when it hits the Amp is it down sampled to 16/44.1?

All documentation on the Sonos end still only points to S2 supporting “Ultra HD” on locally stored music. No mention of streaming, which I assume means still 16/44.1 only support. 

Maybe I just can’t wrap my head around it, but if you cast Amazon HD FLAC through Airplay2 wouldn’t Amp consider it “local”, and therefore play it at 24/48?  The Amazon app certainly says it is, but I have no clue what Amp is doing to it behind the scenes.

I’m coming to grips with the idea that if I launch Amazon HD through S2 it still will only be at 16/44.1, at least for now. 

if you cast Amazon HD FLAC through Airplay2 wouldn’t Amp consider it “local”, and therefore play it at 24/48?  The Amazon app certainly says it is, but I have no clue what Amp is doing to it behind the scenes.

Neither do I, since I don’t use Airplay. However the “local”, in terms of 24-bit support, applies to library FLAC/ALAC files only.

I’m coming to grips with the idea that if I launch Amazon HD through S2 it still will only be at 16/44.1, at least for now. 

And you won’t be able to tell the difference. 

A very worthy study: https://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6993