Question

Qobuz switching quality

• 11 December 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi,

Had SONOS many years and been quite happy with streamed Spotify and feeding via Connect from my HIFI. However now trying the higher quality streaming available.

The issue I have is that if I use Qobuz via the app and Airplay its clear I am playing CD/FLAC but there is nothing in SONOS other than Qobuz place (FLAC) in brackets after the track name.

If I search for say the Adele 21 album and then select Play the album is played in 320 but if I select each track individually the CD (FLAC) track version is played. 

Is there a way to ensure I pick up the higher quality track if available?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Isn’t FLAC the higher quality format?

I too have noticed this lack of the (FLAC) label at the end of song titles when all or part of an album is selected on Qobuz.  FLAC only appears when individual songs are added to the queue.  I haven't tried to compare audio qualities of the same song with different labels.  I suspect that the file quality you receive however they are added to the queue  is determined by your subscription package but only Qobuz can answer this I believe.  Might be worth asking Qobuz direct; I'll try to do the same when I have a mo though my remaining  resolutely on Sonos 7.3 (to save 2 by CR100s and 2 pricey tablets becoming junk from a Sonos viewpoint) might muddy the waters a bit.

Yes my Qobuz subscription is HIFI and I should receive FLAC (CD Quality) if available. I can use the Qobuz App on iphone/ipad and Airplay (no compression) to a SONOS One SL and I always get the FLAC version if its there. It is only through the SONOS music services that it is reverting to 320. So my conclusion is that its not my Qobuz account as that is detecting my subscription.

I am currently comparing Deezer, Tidal and Qobuz against Spotify. In CD Quality there is a definite difference even with my old ears. Which lossless streaming provider depends on the artists and tracks but I was surprised how limited the HiFi content is on these for what I listen to.