Answered

Problems connecting to CNBC via TuneIn

• 27 February 2020
  • 49 replies

This week I have had problems connecting to CNBC on my SONOS system via Tunein.  The CNBC stream will start as expected then drop off after about two minutes.  The Tunein CNBC stream works fine on other devices on the same WIFI.  It appears that the problem is with SONOS. 

Is anyone having a similar problem.  

Scott

Update:  The CNN Station failed after five minutes.  Now I assume its not just CNBC.

icon

Best answer by Sebastien D. 28 February 2020, 21:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Welcome to the community @manshms ,

Are your stations saved under My Sonos or Sonos Favorites within your Sonos app? If so, are you to get the station playing after browsing directly in Radio by TuneIn on your Sonos system?

I was playing with that this morning.  I can listen to CNBC by using the Sonos app no problem.  In the previous scenario (I forgot to mention) I was using Alexa to activate CNBC on my Sonos system. As I have for years.   Therefore it may be an issue with Alexa and Sonos.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Does the issue occur when you initiate playback from other music streaming services besides CNBC stations via voice command?

It seems to be related to the Tunein services like CNBC, CNN….   initiated by voice commands to Alexa to play on a Sonos speaker.

Example: “Alexa, listen to CNN in the Bedroom”   Alexa says something like “Will play CNN through Tunein in the Bedroom” Bedroom is a Sonos Play 3.  Bedroom will then play CNN (or whatever Tunein Station I asked for) for 5 minutes or so as expected then fail. 

NOTE: Until Monday this week this process has worked for years flawlessly.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Scott,

Submitting a diagnostic through the Sonos app provides us with a snapshot of your system so we can help identify what is causing your issue. Then, please reply back the diagnostic confirmation number so I can take a closer look at the issue.

Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Thanks for posting the confirmation number. Let’s start off by rebooting router by unplugging it from power for 5-10 minutes then plug it back in. Once you have internet back online, I would also recommend power cycling your Sonos products for 10-30 seconds.

If the issue still persists, disable the Sonos skill and re-enable the skill within the Alexa app.

Badge +1

It seems to be related to the Tunein services like CNBC, CNN….   initiated by voice commands to Alexa to play on a Sonos speaker.

Example: “Alexa, listen to CNN in the Bedroom”   Alexa says something like “Will play CNN through Tunein in the Bedroom” Bedroom is a Sonos Play 3.  Bedroom will then play CNN (or whatever Tunein Station I asked for) for 5 minutes or so as expected then fail. 

NOTE: Until Monday this week this process has worked for years flawlessly.

I am having the same situation...up until a few weeks ago everything was working fine. 

Badge +1

Here is my diagnostics 1358859377

Badge +1

Here is my diagnostics 1358859377

It works fine when I am pulling from my “favorites” under app, the issue seems to be coming from Alexa voice recognition of “Alexa, play CNBC”

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Thanks for posting the confirmation number. Let’s start off by rebooting router by unplugging it from power for 5-10 minutes then plug it back in. Once you have internet back online, I would also recommend power cycling your Sonos products for 10-30 seconds.

If the issue still persists, disable the Sonos skill and re-enable the skill within the Alexa app.

Hey @Polz ,

Have done the steps I have previously posted? If so, let me know if the issue still persists.

Badge +1

I have gone through all the steps and still have issues when using Alexa version of laying channel...playing channel via sonos app is fine. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Try power cycling your Sonos products by unplugging them directly from power, leave them off for about 5-10 seconds as I see they have been up and running for at least a few weeks. After the reboot Sonos will take a couple of minutes to boot up again. When it does, please check to see if CNBC continues to play via voice command.

Report back with a new confirmation number if the problem continues.

Badge +1

That has not made a difference. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Do you have Amazon Alexa setup at another physical address under the same Amazon account?

Badge +1

no

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

I have recently looked up the CNBC skill within the Alexa app. Try and see if you can enable the CNBC skill and let me know if that worked.

Badge +1

Nope.  Not playing at all right now.  Asking “play CNBC live”. It replied, from tunein here is the CNBC audio stream...then I get nothing at all.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Then try these steps below:

1. Disable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app.  DO NOT re-enable the skill, leave it disabled.
  2. Now, remove Voice Services for all voice enabled Sonos devices under the Amazon Alexa menu in the Sonos app, one room at a time. Tap on the Room to choose the option to Remove Amazon Alexa.
  3. Log out of all Amazon Apps on the mobile device, i.e. Amazon Shopping App & Alexa App, and Amazon.com.
  4. Go through the Alexa Setup in Sonos again.
  5. When prompt to sign in, ensure this is the correct Amazon account to link Alexa.

Once voice services have been re-enabled, test music playback from other music streaming services if possible.

Badge +1

Same issues!

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

At this point, let’s move this conversation to DM so I can gather some more information.

Badge +1

ok, let me know how to proceed. 

Badge

I am having this same issue with a similar configuration - it is specifically with CNBC and CNN through tunein.  It definitely happens when using Alexa but I think it is happening when I launch it from the app as well.   I was able to play other music and news through tunein.  I am also able to play CNN/CNBC through an Alexa device without an issue.  Just the feed through Sonos is the problem.  

Have had numerous calls with Sonos support.  Have reset router.  Have hardwired one speaker into the modem and then tried selecting different channels.  Have tried different groups and individual speakers to see if there was one offending speaker.  Nothing has worked.  This just started happening a week or two ago.   Given it is happening to other people this seems to be an issue with Sonos / Tunein rather than our individual systems.

Apple music, pandors, etc all work fine.

Help!!!

Badge

In case a Sonos staff is looking at this, my case ID is 01575063

Badge +1

They have also had me so “all kinds of things”...I am resolved to the idea it is on their end.  Done spending too much time trying to get something work.