Create Sonos Playlists from locally stored tracks

• 30 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Just started investigating playlists.. using Android… don't seem to be able to create a playlist from music on my device, also don't seem to be able to create a playlist. Using the s2 app. Any pointers gratefully received...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Hi.  Sonos playlists are system based and stored on every player, and meant to be available using any controller.  Therefore it has never been possible to include tracks stored on a mobile device.  It is worth bearing in mind that the Sonos app is not a music player but a remote control for a multiroom, multisource hifi system.  Playing from the device is a bit of a sideshow and not really how Sonos was designed to be used. 

However, if you have playlists in your music player on your phone you may be able to play them from ‘On this mobile device / playlists’.  I say ‘may’ because it depends on the app you are using and your device - the playlists don’t always seem to be captured.

Ok thanks for the respo

The app does not see playlists on either my Android tablet or phone. Support tell me  this a known issue and being worked on with no date for resolution. A pity this not highlighted as a known issue in support pages. Sadly this  means i must retain my bluetooth speakers if i want to play native playlists from my devices. I do not agree with the sentiment expressed above that Sonos is a multi room conroller rather than a music player. This is not how it is marketed. 

No limitations were mentioned or documented anywhere as far as I could see. Very disappointing. If I had known it would have changed my buying behaviour..