Question

One system, two users with separate services

• 27 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi there!

I recently updated my two Play:1 speakers which required an update to the 12.2.23 version of the app. That’s all fine and I have created a Sonos account, added my own Spotify account and all has worked well.

Where I am experiencing an issue is having my housemate’s Apple Music account added as a service so he can use the Sonos too. If I go to add it through my Sonos app, it requires Apple login details and I don’t use Apple Music as a service, and also, he wants to use his account which is where his playlists etc are kept. When he opens up the same app on his phone, Sonos has a login screen requiring him to sign into my Sonos account. There is no option for him to create his own Sonos account on this screen nor can we find a way to create one anywhere else through his app or even change the user logged in.

The previous iteration of the Sonos app never required Sonos logins and so we have never experienced this issue. Previously we had both Spotify and Apple on the same system, he logged into Apple and me into Spotify without anyone needing to log into anyone else’s accounts. I’ve googled extensively to no avail. Can anyone advise a workaround? 

Help us Sonos community, you’re our only hope!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

This is straightforward (once you know how it works!).  A Sonos system has only one Sonos account and this has always been the case.  For some years now, most setup operations have been behind a user password.  This is for your protection, for example to stop a housemate who you don’t want to mess with your system getting in and doing so.

Don’t think of the Sonos account as ‘your’ account.  Think of it as the system account, over which you have control.  Multiple streaming accounts can be added, from the same or different people.

So to achieve what you want, he could give you details of his Apple account for you to add, or you could give him details of your Sonos account.  You could subsequently change your Sonos password.

Alternatively, if those routes bother you , I think you could login to the Sonos system on his phone, hand the phone to him to add his Apple account.  If you then reset his Sonos app (Settings, App Preferences, Reset App), and he then ‘connects to existing system’, you should be sorted without anyone knowing anyone else’s details.