Answered

"No Plex Media Server available. Please make sure your Plex Media Server is accessible."

• 8 July 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

While listening to music from my Plex server, via a web browser, I tried adding Plex as a source for my Sonos system.

The authorization on the Plex end works fine.  Plex shows up as an available media source.

However, when I try to select it in Sonos, I get this error:

"No Plex Media Server available.  Please make sure your Plex Media Server is accessible."

I have tried updating Plex, uninstalling and re-installing it as a media source in Sonos, and am stymied at this point about how to resolve this.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 14 July 2022, 10:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

You will need a Plex Pass and remote access to play on Sonos - Plex is working with the current Sonos App build, as I’ve just tried it here. Also see this link:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/218237558-requirements-for-using-plex-for-sonos/

Userlevel 2
Badge

Oh, that’s unfortunate Sonos can’t just read the contents like a DLNA client, but requires a paid subscription to Plex.  

Plex is a cool service, but not worth the price just for an API.

Oh, that’s unfortunate Sonos can’t just read the contents like a DLNA client, but requires a paid subscription to Plex.  

Plex is a cool service, but not worth the price just for an API.

I have the Plex lifetime subscription and admittedly use it a lot when travelling, so it was worth it in my case. I like having the Plex App on TV’s, Tablet, Phone etc. Their interface is v/good too with the option to use Plex ‘connect’ to play on Sonos, or via the Sonos App. 

I would perhaps like to see the Plex interface on Sonos updated/refreshed now though, so it was perhaps similar to the Plex scheme, or at least aligned similar to some of the other Sonos MSP interfaces, like BBC Sounds or the Apple/Deezer music services. 

Anyhow Plex does seem to work extremely well with my local/remotely-accessible (NAS) Plex server, so the £80+ (discounted offer) that I paid, a year or two ago, for the lifetime access seems worthwhile. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I too have a lifetime subscription to Plex Pass. It never worked very good on my 2010 QNAP, but on my 2020 QNAP it works good for music. I do miss a folder view in Plex on Sonos though.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

You don’t need a Plex Pass, I’m using the free Plex version with Sonos without any issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @wottynatty 

Thanks for your post!

I can confirm that @Outburst is correct - you don’t need a Plex Pass to play your Plex music library on Sonos.

It could be that you need to make sure that Online Access is enabled in your Plex server’s settings, as Sonos speakers access Plex libraries via the cloud.

This link to the relevant Plex help page may be useful: https://support.plex.tv/articles/200289506-remote-access/

I hope this helps.