Question

No Playlist option in MySonos..

• 13 August 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

When I go into MySonos, the only option I have when I click Edit is “Recently Played”. “Playlists” does not appear.

When I tap the 3 dots to the right of a song, there are no Playlist options in the list - I show “Play in another room”, Play Now, Play Next, Add to end of Queue, and Replace Queue only.

FWIW I don’t have a Shared Music Folder set up. Given my SONOS is hard wired to my network, does that mean I have to share a folder on my desktop as a Shared Music Folder to be able to create Playlists and store them there? Or is this a red herring? FWIW I’m running Windows 10.

Any help will be appreciated.

TIA - R.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Rooster99.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to ask some questions for me to better understand what is going on and how to proceed.

• What is the source of the music you are trying to save on your Sonos Playlist?
  • Is the Song showing on the Sonos app?
  • What is the Music service or Source of the music on the Sonos app?
  • Is the song playing on the Sonos device via the Sonos App?
  • Can we try saving the songs on queue as a Sonos playlist by following this guide?

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Badge +2

Hi Paul A - thank you for your prompt response. Here are my responses to your questions :

• What is the source of the music you are trying to save on your Sonos Playlist?
    • Not sure why it matters, but I have tried with music stored on my device and from music services like Tidal
  • Is the Song showing on the Sonos app?
    • Yes
  • What is the Music service or Source of the music on the Sonos app?
    • See my answer to the first question
  • Is the song playing on the Sonos device via the Sonos App?
    • Yes
  • Can we try saving the songs on queue as a Sonos playlist by following this guide?
    • It worked, but when I hit the Queue button I had a playlist name appear that I hadn’t created so I used X to delete the name and changed it to Test; In MySonos I now have a selection for “Playlists” that has 1 Playlist in it called Test and I can edit that name or delete the Playlist; That Playlist has a bunch of songs on it so it looks like I just added the entire queue, not just the song that was playing; There is still no option to create a new Playlist in MySonos

I want to create new Playlist(s) then browse and search and add selected songs to selected Playlists. How do I do that?

Thanks for your help - R.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Rooster99.

Thanks for the detailed and immediate response.

I would like to ask if we can try this guide accordingly.

1. Choose a song on your music library and play the song.
  2. Go to browse on the Sonos app (bottom middle portion of the Sonos app).
  3. Tap on the 3 horizontal dots on the now playing window aligned to the title of the song you wish to be on the playlist.
  4. Tap on add song to Sonos playlist.
  5. This is how to successfully create a Sonos playlist.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Badge +2

Hi Paul - thanks for getting back to me so fast.

I did #1-3 but can’t do #4 as when I tap “Add Song to Sonos Playlist” nothing happens.

I did #1-3 and saw :

1. Song title at the top
  2. Artist name below that
  3. “On This Mobile Device” (song location I guess?)
  4. “Sonos” in light grey and only showing the top half of the letters; Tapping it does nothing and there’s no hint there are other options that will appear if you scroll on it so it took me a while to figure out scrolling was the key; Is that normal?
  5. “Crossfade (Off)”
  6. “Sleep Timer (off)”

Anyway, when I do that scrolling on the “Sonos” option I get a little 3 selection drop showing :

1. Add Song to Sonos Playlist - nothing happens when I tap it
  2. Search for Cars (the name of the band) - seems to work
  3. Share This Song - seems to work

Any thoughts?

I have a Pixel 2 with Android 10, and am running Sonos 12.0.4 Build 58179230

Thanks - Rob.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Rooster99.

Thanks for the detailed and immediate response. 

I would suggest calling our technical support team for a more in-depth troubleshooting step as this is no longer a normal behavior for your Sonos system. You may also want to consider submitting a diagnostic prior calling for us to have a better understanding of your Sonos system as this is no longer a normal behavior. 

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Badge +2

Thanks for your help, Paul.

As an FYI for anyone following this thread, I tried using Chat support first. at first they said I had to create new Playlists on my computer. When I asked if they were saying I couldn’t create new Playlists on the Sonos smartphone app they said yes, I actually could and showed me how (from Now Playing tap Queue button at top right to show the queue, tap save at bottom right and create name). However, I still didn’t have a Playlist show up in MySonos and in MySonos > Edit there still isn’t even a Playlist option. Then they said I should access telephone support as they have the ability to remote into my device.

So now I’m on hold with a 40 minute wait. Sure hope this fixes the problem.

• R.
Badge +2

So the end result is that I can create Playlists as long as they use songs from a music service. I was told you cannot add songs to a Playlist if they are stored on your phone. I was not told why.

This is not documented anywhere I have been able to find. If true, it’s a big hole in Sonos, and they could save users and tech support a TON of time if they had documented it.

I will be investigating this further as I roll with my music on my device and would prefer not to change that - some of the places I travel have little or zero internet connectivity.

I’ve played more with Playlists and summarized my findings here for others to use. With the exception of not being able to add songs to Playlists if they’re on your phone the Playlist functionality seems pretty good once enabled. I just wish it was properly documented up front in a user-friendly fashion.

1. Activating Playlist functionality : MySonos starts with no option under Edit to work with Playlists. You have to create the first Playlist by playing a single song FROM A MUSIC SERVICE then in the Now Playing screen tap the Queue button in the top right, tap the 3 buttons to the right of any track, tap Add to Sonos Playlist, tap the 3 buttons in the top right, tap New Playlist and you’ll create a new Playlist. That seems to expose/activate the entire Playlist management system. Sorry, I consider that poor design, and at the very least that should be way better documented.
  2. Creating new Playlists : Once the Playlist management system is activated/exposed, you can go into MySonos > Edit > Playlists and at the bottom there is a New Playlist button you can tap on to create a new Playlist name.
  3. Managing Playlist content : Once you have a Playlist created you can add individual songs to it or an entire queue. To edit the contents you need to go into MySonos, select the Playlist of choice, tap the 3 dots in the top right, select Edit Playlist. You can delete specific tracks and reorder them. The delete is pretty obvious (red X to left of track) but reorder requires long press on 3 rows of dots to right of track to enable drag & drop

Paul, if you can figure out a way to add songs from your device directly to a Sonos Playlist that would be great. I’m guessing that right now I would have to upload all the tracks from my phone into a music servie to be able to add them to a Sonos Playlist. I would prefer not to be forced to do that.

Thanks again for your help, Paul.