Answered

Music library access denied under S2

• 14 February 2021
  • 16 replies

Following my upgrade to Sonos Controller S2 (to accommodate my new OneSL speaker), I can no longer access my music library.  I’ve tried deleting and re-adding it, but the add gets access denied,also.

NOTE:  When I upgraded to S2, I got an error message saying that SonosLibraryService could not be started.  I’m guessing that may be the ultimate source of my problem.  If so, what can I do to fix that issue?

icon

Best answer by controlav 19 February 2021, 02:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Reboot the computer? 

What OS is this music library on? Do you have any pending updates to the OS? When you updated to S2, did you download firectly from Sonos, or somewhere else? Which version of the S2 controller are you running? Can you submit a diagnostic (although I do share your assessment, without the SonosLibraryService running, it’s unlikely to connect to your library)? 

Oh, any firewalls, VPNs, or other blocking apps that might be running?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Restart the PC (I assume its a PC?), if SonosLibraryService is still not running, look at the newest sonoslog files at C:\ProgramData\SonosV2,_Inc\runtime

I’m running Sonos on a PC under Windows 10.  All MS updates have been accepted.  My firewall is Norton, though some bit of the Windows firewall also is active.

I downloaded S2 directly from sonos.com (in fact, I’ve done that 4 times, and always get the Error 1920: Service SonosLibraryService failed to start).  I’m suspicious that there may be some problem in that service contained in the current download package, since no other services seem to be affected.

I’ve restarted the PC several times, also, but with no change in the issue.

The S2 exe version appears to be 6.0.0.34230.  The SonosLibraryService exe version appears to be 1.0.0.0.

To controlav:  What am I to look for on the log files?  Also, I don’t have a ProgramData folder on my C: drive.  The Sonos files are stored under Program Files (x86), but I don’t see any folder with the _Inc\runtime designation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The S2 exe version appears to be 6.0.0.34230.  The SonosLibraryService exe version appears to be 1.0.0.0.

To controlav:  What am I to look for on the log files?  Also, I don’t have a ProgramData folder on my C: drive.  The Sonos files are stored under Program Files (x86), but I don’t see any folder with the _Inc\runtime designation.

c:\ProgramData is a hidden directory (just type the path into the Run dialog). I always run with “show hidden files” so I didn’t realize that. If you load the newest log file into Notepad, you should hopefully see some “ok” stuff and some “error” stuff. That might give us a clue.

Or you can call Sonos and they will I assume be able to interpret that error file for you.

If I was a betting man I would hazard a guess its Norton that is blocking things, because that is its whole purpose after all.

We’ve made all the changes to the Norton firewall that Sonos support recommended, but that hasn’t helped.  Besides, why would Norton block access to starting just one of the system services?  What’s different about this one?

I found the hidden log files for Program Data, but I don’t really understand the contents. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

For service start failures, the Event Log is the other place to look. However that is also hard for non-technical users to read, so I would suggest you call Sonos who can interpret that.

Badge +17

Hey guys,

I agree with @controlav that the issue likely is Norton blocking sonoslibraryservice.exe from starting. Norton may be running heuristics analysis on system services and thinks that this one is doing something unusual so is preventing it from running. 

In most cases, simply whitelisting sonos.exe and sonoslibraryservice.exe should get it running again. You may need to reboot your PC after making those changes for it to kick into effect.

Let us know how you get on.

@controlav 

OK, so I’ve captured the latest Sonos log file from ProgramData, as you suggested.  Where can I send it for someone knowledgeable to interpret?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You can try Sonos support, or you can PM it to me and I’ll take a look.

@contolav

Thanks for the offer.  How would I “PM” it to you?  Email?

@James L. 

How do I whitelist the two executables?  In Norton?  I believe there it would be called an Exception, but I’m not sure.

PM is Private Message. Click on your avatar at the top of this page, to the right of ‘create topic’. 

Click on Private Messages. From there, you can send a message directly to controlav.

@Airgetlam 

I tried to use PM but the log file is too large to be sent that way.  Any other ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Contact Sonos, I’ve really tried here. And it will very probably be Norton.

Badge +17

@James L.

How do I whitelist the two executables?  In Norton?  I believe there it would be called an Exception, but I’m not sure.

I’m not 100% sure as I don’t have very much hands-on experience with the later versions of Norton, but their FAQ suggests the following:

1. In the Norton main window, click Settings.
  2. In the Settings window, click Firewall.
  3. On the Program Control tab, select the program (In this case we want sonos.exe and sonoslibraryservice.exe) that you want to allow access to the Internet.
  4. In the Access drop-down list for the program entry, click Allow.
  5. Click Apply.

If these options don’t match or don’t seem to have done the trick I’d advise getting in contact with Norton support to see how you can get those exceptions added.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m not even sure adjusting the Norton firewall is going to help. Based on the description, the service itself is failing to start, and that doesn’t have anything to do with the network. That would indicate a problem with the executable itself being blocked, or (less likely) an issue with the hidden Sonos account it requires. The Event Log would probably indicate which, as service start failures go there.

If Norton has a big “temporarily turn everything off” switch, as Avast (that I use) does, that wold be a quicker test.