Answered

MP3 files created from converted vinyl won't play on Sonos

• 1 January 2022
  • 7 replies

I converted a vinyl album to an MP3 file and added it to my music library on my MacBook Pro. It plays on my MacBook, but when I try to play it on Sonos it won't play.  I have updated my music library, and the album appears in Sonos, but won't play. When I try to play it I get a short blip (like the scratch at the beginning of putting a need on the vinyl)  and then an error message. What should I do?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 1 January 2022, 17:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Here are the file/track library audio formats supported, perhaps check your tracks comply…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/79

Userlevel 7

Sonos supports MP3 files with a bitrate up to 320 kbps. Convert your files to this bitrate or to another supported file format listed in this article:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/79?language=en_US

For higher quality audio, use the lossless and uncompressed audio formats listed in the article instead of MP3.

Does that mean when I import the MP3 files I should choose “Apple Lossless Encoder” in my Apple Music import settings?

Userlevel 7

Does that mean when I import the MP3 files I should choose “Apple Lossless Encoder” in my Apple Music import settings?

You should probably rip the vinyl album again as 16-bit/48kHz WAV or AIFF files. Then you could import the files as ALAC (Apple Lossless) into Apple Music.

I have a turntable that just makes MP3 files. Can I convert the MP3 file  to the formats you are suggesting?

Userlevel 7

I have a turntable that just makes MP3 files. Can I convert the MP3 file  to the formats you are suggesting?

Yes.

What model turntable do you have?

I figured it out. I found a website where I can convert the MP3 files to AIFF files for free.

i imported the AIFF files into my music library using Apple’s Lossless encoding. I can now play them on Sonos. Thanks so much.