Answered

Badge

This sucks that I cannot log into my Tunein premium service! Now I have to listen to adds each time I want to listen to a radio station. Get with it sonos, your system sucks. Looking for a new home audio system. Sonos is not a user friendly product!

icon

Best answer by John B 19 August 2022, 09:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

This sucks that I cannot log into my Tunein premium service! Now I have to listen to adds each time I want to listen to a radio station. Get with it sonos, your system sucks. Looking for a new home audio system. Sonos is not a user friendly product!

Maybe want to ask Tunein why they doesn’t allow their premium service through Sonos, since the decision is up to them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@goeatwhatever Why the aggressive tone and wording of your post? You have a reasonable request and we cannot know if this lies with Sonos or TuneIn - though I agree with @melvimbe that it is most logical that this a TuneIn choice. Why not word your post as a question or request?

To your point: I like the “free” service TuneIn provides. I would hate to need yet another subscription, this time for radio. This could see TuneIn to steer users to a paid subscription.

Badge

@106rallye True, I could word my rant in a more civil manor, however after spending too much time seeking answers from Sonos and Tunein to no avail and learning that I cannot log in to my Tunein account on Sonos I choose to share my disdain for all the failures of technology. I am paying for a service that I cannot benefit from on Sonos. Users can have it both ways, free with ads or paid without ads, ie, Spotify, Pandora…but not Tunein. Whatever, technology is a dark abyss, we are being sucked into it like a jackass after a carrot to our detriment. Sonos and Tunein only care about the profits, not the consumer. They have offered no answers as to why one cannot log into Tunein on Sonos. I am sure it is a financial issue. Consumer be damned. Looking at alternatives to Sonos.

Since Sonos doesn’t take any money from any subscription services other than Sonos Radio HD, it would be odd if it were a financial issue, at least on the Sonos side. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Since Sonos doesn’t take any money from any subscription services other than Sonos Radio HD, it would be odd if it were a financial issue, at least on the Sonos side. 

Or that it would be different on an alternative platform than Sonos. 

Sorry but I don’t understand the OP.  When you use the TuneIn option on the Browse menu on Sonos, TuneIn acts merely as a URL lookup service; Sonos fetches the URL directly from the station, not using the TuneIn service.

@goeatwhatever  - the only ads you should hear are those on the station’s own stream, which are surely there in whichever way you access the content?  There should be no ads from the TuneIn service itself.  Which ads are you talking about?

I have been using the ‘TuneIn’ audio source to listen to radio on Sonos for 10 years.  I have no TuneIn account (neither free nor paid) and I am yet to hear a TuneIn ad.  The problem with taking an aggressive tone in a rant is that there is always a risk that one turns out to have been totally mistaken.

Depending on what type of controller devices and speakers you have, you may be able to log into your paid TuneIn subscription on a mobile device and use Airplay or Bluetooth to play to your speakers.

Which other audio system are you planning to switch to?

The one thing the OP is correct about is that TuneIn premium is not available on Sonos.  As others have stated, Sonos has a free, open API so this is entirely TuneIn’s call.  (And as I have pointed out, Airplay and Bluetooth offer ways around this for many users.)  It is most definitely possible to listen to radio on Sonos without ads additional to those intrinsic to the content itself.

Everything else in the OP’s contributions is hysterical, ill-informed and incorrect.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@John B On my system TuneIn plays a its tune and then a commercial every time I start the TuneIn stream. That does not happen on your system?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

FWIW - I had Sonos Alarm reliability issues with TuneIn on Sonos a year or so ago, and was advised to use the ‘myTuner Radio’ service by Sonos, so there maybe an alternative way to listen to the radio station(s), using a different service.

@John B On my system TuneIn plays a its tune and then a commercial every time I start the TuneIn stream. That does not happen on your system?

I get a TuneIn jingle sometimes but no adverts.  I generally select a station using the universal search or from My Sonos (having saved it there previously from a universal search).

I have also used MyTunerRadio, RadioPlayer and Global Player, and added a few streaming URLs manually.

However, the fact that a TuneIn jingle plays does make me question my own claim that Sonos doesn’t use the TuneIn service.  It was certainly the case for a long time that TuneIn was just used for URL lookup. 

Badge

Not sure why but I get ads when I pull up any radio station through Tunein on Sonos before the chosen radio station starts, they are not the radio stations ads but seem to be coming from Tunein.

Tunein did reply to my question about using subscription service and ads on Sonos:

Hello Jim,

Thank you for contacting TuneIn Support.

We apologize for the inconvenience. We would like to let you know that, TuneIn Premium subscription service is currently only available on tunein.com, and on our iOS, Windows 10, and Android apps. We plan to extend this to more devices in the future. Currently a workaround to get Premium streams to your non-Premium supported device/platform is to cast using Chromecast, or stream via Bluetooth or Aux cable from your mobile TuneIn app. Sonos doesn't support login feature.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Best regards,
Isaac
TuneIn Inc

I think they missed AirPlay 2 as well, assuming you have an iOS device. I used to log in to the TuneIn app, and use AirPlay 2 to send a signal to a Sonos One….but TuneIn stopped broadcasting the baseball games, so I’ve gone with iHeart radio, which does carry them. Licensing issues, I’d guess, and not a particular fault of Tunein, other than they didn’t choose to pay what I assume is an exorbitant fee to MLB.