Answered

Libby audio books: How to start book where stopped previously?

I successfully listen to Libby library audio books through Sonos.  Thank you.  When I stop, then start the book later, it starts at the beginning.  

I tried syncing again and setting Libby bookmarks.  

How to start a book where previously stopped through Sonos?

icon

Best answer by EWGates 18 October 2020, 13:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @EWGates,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your question regarding the Libby audio book service. 

I added and tested this service to my own Sonos system and was quite unable to add a bookmark from within the Sonos app or even to return to a place where I had paused the audio. 

I was able to skip ahead in 30 second increments and also to use the slider in the playback page to find my place manually. 

I can do some further research on this to verify that this feature is not supported through our app at this time.  

Hello, according to the announcements about Libby for Sonos, audiobooks are supposed to sync between the apps but I am having the same issue as above. I cannot save my book progress in any way.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @Sonos Questions,

I’m currently looking into this behavior as I was also unable to bookmark or return to where I left off when playing an audio book through the Sonos app. 

I'm having the same issue.  There's no way to bookmark where you left off on library audio books.  Please add this feature as it's greatly needed.  I miss parts of each book because I constantly have to guess where I was with the slider.

Audio books should always start where you left off.  Imagine if your Kindle books never saved your place and you had to try and figure out where you were each and every time?  Annoying! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @julieseattle,

I can pass this feedback along to our development team so that they can hopefully incorporate this into the app for this service. 

In the mean time, it looks like the only way is to scroll through the progress bar to roughly where you left off to resume playback.

We appreciate your patience with us as we work to improve the Sonos experience for our users.    

Same problem here - please fix!

I was so pleased that Libby was added to the services available in Sonos 2 app, but it is so annoying that the book goes back to the beginning every time I open it. I really hope Sonos will fix this, especially since the problem is with the Sonos app and not the Libby app.The only solution I’ve found is to take a screen shot of the app before shutting it down, then using the “double arrow” forward button to fast forward to the point where the book last stopped. It’s not perfect, but it helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Music services that play audio books need to do additional work to support pause and resume.

https://developer.sonos.com/build/content-service-add-features/save-resume-playback/

Sounds like the Libby folks need to read the above page and implement it in their SMAPI service.

I gave up using Libby with the Sonos app until I recently found an easy solution.  

Solution:  Instead of using the Sonos app, to listen to Libby audio books, I now use the AirPlay feature. 

Requirements:  Sonos speaker with AirPlay capability plus a device, like iPad, with AirPlay capability.

Steps:  Play the audio book through Libby, on an AirPlay device, as usual.  I use an iPad.  Swipe down and leftish from top right of screen, select AirPlay (triangle with lines above).  My networked airplay Sonos speakers are available.  Select at least one.

Result:  I hear the audiobook throughout the house. 

That only works if you have an Apple product. 

Is there any update to getting this resolved? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Same problem syncs great from non-sonos to Sonos but if trying to start from where I left off in Sonos, starts at segment start. 

And could Sonos please make some way of aligning chapters, time, anything that could give us a clue when switching between other device apps indicating where the heck we are? 

Since it works on Audible, Sonos has already written it into their API, as all services use the same API.  Which suggests that Libby hasn’t properly integrated the API provided by Sonos into the Libby servers.

While I’m confident Sonos has told them, there is no financial relationship between the two companies, so I’d think if Libby heard the complaint directly from a user, they might pay more heed.