Answered

How best migrate from Amazon Music to Utube Music?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I am subscribing to UTube Premium for some of the video features so want to also drop Amazon Music and use UTube Music rather than pay monthly for two similar services.

Is there any way to migrate my albums and playlists from Amazon to UTube?

If not, there should be. I ran into this same issue a long time ago when I moved from Google Play Music to Amazon Music.

Perhaps editing some internal file on the PC or the Android or is all of this kept in the speakers themselves or on the Sonos site in some database? It would be nice to have a conversion tool that  would convert to the extent possible if not completely when possible. I use the S1 system.

Thx

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 11 October 2021, 19:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mushroomhunter 

Thanks for your post!

If your playlists are Amazon playlists, then they are not stored on Sonos devices and therefore there are no files that could be transferred or edited. Essentially, what you’re asking has nothing to do with Sonos.

There is a website that can do this for you, however, that I have seen a few of our community members recommend. I have not used this website myself.

https://soundiiz.com/tutorial/amazon-music-to-youtube-music

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

They are Sonos playlists and have everything to do with Sonos. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mushroomhunter 

In that case, there’s no official way to do this, though our community member @controlav may be able to help, as he’s written his own controller app for Sonos that can export playlists.

Hang on. All Sonos does is point to the files on the Amazon Music servers. There is no obvious, automatic way to convert these to completely different YouTube Music URLs. If you create playlists using music service URLs then you are locking yourself into that system to some extent. That is still not Sonos' problem to solve.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hang on. All Sonos does is point to the files on the Amazon Music servers. There is no obvious, automatic way to convert these to completely different YouTube Music URLs. If you create playlists using music service URLs then you are locking yourself into that system to some extent. That is still not Sonos' problem to solve.

Absolutely - any exported playlist would need each entry in it manually edited. Not quick and painless by any degree.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I disagree as Sonos “could” do conversion by searching the new music source for the same artist, album, song etc. as in the old music source. Even if not 100% it would be nice to have such a tool that worked to the extent possible that the playlist items were found. As a developer, I would remember artist, album, song and then the URL for the music source, and to convert, merely search the new source and replace the URL.

I disagree as Sonos “could” do conversion by searching the new music source for the same artist, album, song etc. as in the old music source. Even if not 100% it would be nice to have such a tool that worked to the extent possible that the playlist items were found. As a developer, I would remember artist, album, song and then the URL for the music source, and to convert, merely search the new source and replace the URL.

While that sounds like a reasonable approach, I would be surprised it this gets deemed a high priority on Sonos development list.  Don’t recall seeing anyone else make this request. It would likely be a bit more complicated that you’re thinking, since a Sonos playlist can contain track from multiple services and their personal library.  It would not be just moving Amazon to Youtube for everyone, the way it is for you, so there would need to be parameters to the process that deal with the different scenarios.

As well, I don’t know that Sonos would want to do this as they have business relationships with these music service providers who might not appreciate Sonos making it easier for users to terminate their services.  Sure, it helps services gain customers, but I doubt that would be the focus.

I might try reaching out to Soundiiz is to see if they have anything their working on that could help you. Perhaps the can create a youtube playlist from an exported flat file or something.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I’ll check w/ Soundiiz.

Is there a concept of editing the playlist file? Presumably some XML file stored on the speakers? If so, is there any documented way of getting/replacing/editing that file? Thx

I’ll check w/ Soundiiz.

Is there a concept of editing the playlist file? Presumably some XML file stored on the speakers? If so, is there any documented way of getting/replacing/editing that file? Thx

You might want to look at https://developer.sonos.com/ .  As mentioned already, controlav has written a program to do an export, and may have some device on importing.. Not sure if there is a way to import playlist, or if that can even be done through the API.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Good idea. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

As has been referred to above, my iOS app (see profile) will let you turn a Sonos playlist into an XML file in SoundIIZ format. You can then use soundiiz.com to import that into a whole bunch of different music services. If you are a glutton for punishment you could instead use my app to export into Sonos XML format and edit it manually, or into a CSV file if that is your preference. The hard part is getting it back into a music service, which is why I partnered with soundiiz as they totally have that part all figured out.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

As has been referred to above, my iOS app (see profile) will let you turn a Sonos playlist into an XML file in SoundIIZ format. You can then use soundiiz.com to import that into a whole bunch of different music services. If you are a glutton for punishment you could instead use my app to export into Sonos XML format and edit it manually, or into a CSV file if that is your preference. The hard part is getting it back into a music service, which is why I partnered with soundiiz as they totally have that part all figured out.

Any chance it would also export my album favorites where SoundIIZ would also port those to a new service? Or is it just playlists? I have Windows and Android so if IOS only I guess it’s moot. Thx

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Any chance it would also export my album favorites where SoundIIZ would also port those to a new service? Or is it just playlists? I have Windows and Android so if IOS only I guess it’s moot. Thx

It will export Sonos Favorites but only to Sonos XML format, you would need to hand massage that into SoundIIZ format before importing to another service. And yes, it is iOS only so likely moot for you anyway.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Thanks anyway!